VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

moving ESXi 6.0 to other vCenter - warnings

Hi,

Further to this Migrate ESXi’s to another vCenter 

I notice that if I try to add the 6.0 Host (currently managed by Windows vCenter) to another VCSA 6.7 inside a new cluster I get a warning that VMs are running on the Host and the below notification:

"Hosts will enter Maintenance mode before they are moved to the cluster" You might need to power off or migrate....

However if I add to a new datacenter I get:

"The Host is already managed by vCenter Server System with IP Address xx.xx.xx.xx

Only one vCenter System can manage this host. If you add this Host to this vCenter Server system, the Host will lose connection with its original vCenter System"

So it looks like I will first need to add them to the datacenter on the VCSA (As do not want this procedure to cause any impact/downtime) and then add to the cluster one at a time after evacuating the respective Host (hosts have only local datastores, no shared storage and using Standard Switches).

During the above process however when I select a an Enterprise 6.0 ESXi license I get the following warning:

"Cannot decode the licensed features on the host before it is added to vCenter Server. You might be unable to assign the selected license because of unsupported features in use or some features might be become unavailable...."

Is the above message normal/expected?

Also currently the Hosts have no DNS configured, so will add DNS Servers on them as I plan to add these to the VCSA by using their DNS name (rather than IP)

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hey there,

There is no impact in the running VMs when you get the message that the host is managed by other vCenter. You can perform that without any impact.

Add the licence to your vCenter Licence inventory then apply it to the esxi. (If when adding you get the message, just go with trial and then apply again)

Add the host to the DC, and the move it to the Cluster you want to move it. (If you have HA enabled, just disable Host monitoring while doing the changes so you can be certain that nothing unexpected will happen - when completed, enable again)

Cheers

N

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Hey there,

There is no impact in the running VMs when you get the message that the host is managed by other vCenter. You can perform that without any impact.

Add the licence to your vCenter Licence inventory then apply it to the esxi. (If when adding you get the message, just go with trial and then apply again)

Add the host to the DC, and the move it to the Cluster you want to move it. (If you have HA enabled, just disable Host monitoring while doing the changes so you can be certain that nothing unexpected will happen - when completed, enable again)

Cheers

N

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

good that I can ignore those warnings.

I am also noticing that the VCSA has TLS1.0 and TLS1.1 disabled (Only TLS1.2 enabled), do you know if ESXi 6.0U1a supports TLS1.2 for connectivity to the VCSA?

If not I will likely need to re-enable TLS1.0 and TLS1.1 (at least temporary until these hosts are upgraded to 6.5/6.7)

0 Kudos
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

I think it is available from U3

Check:

vSphere and TLS 1.2 - VMware vSphere Blog

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Servers moved ok

Yes the TLS config utility has been added from U3

Looks like U1b introduced support to TLS 1.1 and 1.2

So for now I will leave 1.0 and 1.1 enabled on the VCSA until I upgrade the hosts

Thanks