VMware Cloud Community
april14507
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

migrate a server between two esxi hosts without shutdown of the server?

Is there any way to migrate a server between two host without shutdown of the server? The two esxi hosts have no shared storage and they run version 6u2. Any advice on this?

Thank you very much,

Tags (2)
17 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's required to do this, is at least Essentials Plus licensing. This will allow to "Change both, host and storage", i.e. allow live migration without shared storage.

André

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

To reinforce André's (correct) answer, you must have vCenter Server to do this. Without it there is no possibility.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

If you not have vcenter, you could try Veeam backup free.

Moving VMware VM to another datastore WITHOUT Storage vMotion

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

diegodco31​ True, but this method will cause the VM to be shutdown at the final stages so it can be started on the destination host, which is what the OP hoped to avoid.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Thanks daphnissov. ​ I didn't know this method will cause the vm to be shutdown at the final stages.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
TwinTurboRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can take a short downtime, then vCenter converter will shutdown the source and bring up the guest at the end of the clone.

0 Kudos
april14507
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you!!! Currently I am still using evaluation copy. The license we have is vcenter server6 essentials for vSphere. Can the evalution take care of this process?

Please advise!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, the Essentials edition doesn't have the capabilities to do this.

april14507
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this shutdown and starting the destination server an automatic process?

Thank you very much!!!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, this would be manual.

0 Kudos
april14507
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you for your response. Can the evalution take care of this process?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you are still in the evaluation process of vCenter Standard and ESXi Enterprise Plus (not Essentials), provided you have configured vMotion on these hosts then yes, it would be possible to migrate a VM non-disruptively between two hosts without shared storage.

TwinTurboRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Converter will do automated shutdown and start-up at the end of the conversion.

Rob

0 Kudos
april14507
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both esxi and vcenter are on evaluation copy currently. How can I verify the feature for vMotion without storage. I do not see that specific name. I only see vMotion and X-switch vMotion. Do they include the feature for vMotion without storage?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There is no feature called "vMotion without storage" it's just built into vMotion. If you don't understand the basics of what vMotion is or how to set that up, please refer to the product documentation for vSphere or the countless blogs that are available for a complete walk-through of that process. And in my opinion, VMware Converter is not an appropriate tool for this type of migration.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With vMotion configured on both hosts (I recommend using a dedicated physical network adapter), you will have the option "Change both, host and storage" in the migration wizard (right click the VM, and select Migrate).

André

0 Kudos