VMware Cloud Community
Fanboyuuegl
Contributor
Contributor

memory usage question

Hi,

When I tried to evaluate the performances of my servers, I am confused by a memory usage problem.

I feel that the VMware memory balloon technique could explain this, but I wish my assumption is correct.

All my servers are installed on a VMware and they are linux centos 7.

This is the memory of one of my servers observed from vcenter.

pastedImage_0.png

While after console into this centos7 and check memory from there, it shows the memory usage is 97%

pastedImage_1.png

I tried to calculate memory usage by myself via

pastedImage_2.png

i realized the memory usage could not be 97% and the figure shown from vcenter is correct.

But how can the command "sar" shows the memory usage is about 97% ?

I guess VMware does not allocate the full memory to this client (I give 6G to this server when creating) and it only provides a little bit more than what this servers is actually needed. That is why Sar shows the memory usage is always above 90%.

The 6G is actually of the ceiling of memory that vmware host is able to allocate to this client.

Could experts justify my assumption?

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. There’s no such place as “on a VMware”, as you mentioned vCenter that tells us your VMs are running on ESXi as part of a vSphere deployment

2. I have moved your thread to the vSphere area (as a moderator)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos