VMware Cloud Community
mikebruner
Contributor
Contributor

macOS Big Sur-->VMware Fusion 12-->Windows 10-->Ashlar Graphite 12 BROKEN BAD

I have been working on a MacMini/Catalina/VMware11/Windows 10, where I only use this for my CAD application, Ashlar Graphite 12.  

Everything was up to date, fine, working well.  

I assumed that since I'd be within Windows, and VMware 12 is supposed to be compatible with Big Sur, I purchased the upgrade to VMware 12, and updated my macMini to Big Sur.  

Big mistake.

Graphite now does not operate properly.  Un-usable.  

The application opens fine.  However, if you click in the window, it essentially freezes while it very slowly draws a guideline, dots across the page, slowly, then un-draws, slowly, then finally releases the application, but it doesn't know where you wanted the line, say, as it starts writing the guideline as soon as you click, freezing out any other information to the application.

The guideline being drawn is a series of dots, marching across the screen, then when it hits the other side, back at where it began the dots delete one at a time, slowly.  

I assume I need to wipe my drive and go back to Catalina/VMware 11.  Unless someone knows what might be the cause of this.  

Thank you.

Mike

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You could try something less drastic.

I am assuming it was upgraded to version 18 when the VM was open in Fusion 12. Try setting the virtual hardware version to 16. This is at VM settings -> Compatibility. The VM has to be powered off while this is done.

0 Kudos
mikebruner
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU!

That seems to have done the trick.

I'll need to now spend a day with it to make sure, but the primary issue is gone.

Thanks again.

m

0 Kudos