VMware Cloud Community
DavidViz
Contributor
Contributor

lost connection when adding network adapter

Hello
when I was testing in a vsphere and going to add a virtual network adapter. accept the changes and automatically lost the connection with the server .. I can not open by web, or by client ... any ideas?

I suppose I opened some marked option to use that adapter as main or something ...

Thank you

vmware ESXi 6.5.0 (build 4654106)
Dell poweredge 2950

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

what I understand is that you've added another vmnic to a vSwitch with the Management Network port group!? Is that what you did?

In this case verify whether the physical switch port to which the vmnic is connected is configured properly, e.g. correct VLAN, ...

As an alternative, remove vmnic from the Management Network from within the host's direct console (DCUI), or by pulling the vmnic's physical cable.

André

0 Kudos
DavidViz
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for responding so fast ^^

if from the panel client I was trying to configure vswitch and I think it would be out of order ... I tried "tet management network" and it does not ping any ip. Basically what I have to do is use the "network restore options"?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With multiple vmnics (uplinks) connected to the vSwitch, the Management Port group may use a random one of them. If it picks one that's not configured properly (e.g. on the physical switch port), things like you see may happen.

Since you're on the host's console, check the Management Network configuration, and make sure that only the previously working vmnic/uplink is used.Also double-check the network settings (IP address, subnet mask, gateway).

André

0 Kudos
DavidViz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the advice, everything checked, the submask gateway settings etc all ok

but I can not connect ...

I tried with the previous configuration but nothing ...

any other idea?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say what could be causing this without sitting in front of the host.

Some more quick thoughs:

• Check the VLAN-ID for the Management Network to ensure it's properly configured in case you are using 802.1Q physical ports.
  • Check whether the correct vmnics have been selected for the Management Network

If this still doesn't work, please post the physical switch ports configuration (e.g. the output of show run int <interface>). Maybe this can give us a clue.

André

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since this is for a test lab, it might just be easier to reconfig your host's Networking to defaults of vSwitch0 and vmk0, and load balance all Physical Adapters (those all get the same IP that you set from the hosts console in its video output).

I've made some screenshots here that may help:

How to use vmnic0 and vmnic1 properly for performance?

0 Kudos