VMware Cloud Community
ACluey36
Contributor
Contributor

load based teaming logs

Does anyone know where Load Based teaming events (for example when a physical interface hits 75% and migrates a VMs NICs) would be logged ? It's not something I've ever been too concerned about (because it usually works well and to be honest, I rarely see physical NICs hit 75% anyway) so I've never been too bothered. But we had an issue last week that, at least in part, would be explained if LBT had migrated a VM to use one of the other uplinks.

I can't see anything obvious in the usual log files (VMware.log, VMkernel.log etc) that refer to a LBT migration. Could be that the log isn't as obvious as I would expect, or I'm digging in the wrong place.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's a good question, but I don't think I've ever seen it logged. I would think it'd be in vmkernel.log on the host running it at the time, but it's possible it may not show unless you've turned up verbose logging.

0 Kudos
ACluey36
Contributor
Contributor

That was my thoughts. VMKernel log doesn't show anything that stands out as an LBT migration, but then it may be that the pNICs didn't reach the 75% threshold (so obviously nothing to show), or as you say it's a verbose option.

Seems like this should be logged somewhere in my mind given the amount of data that gets logged by default. While I've never needed to get this information before, it's now, when we've had an odd series of events, that knowing if LBT triggered or not would be useful.

I'll keep digging and see what i find and maybe try and force an LBT threshold migration in the dev environment. At least then I'll know if something does get logged and where.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed, but one possibility is to see if your upstream switch has logs (maybe sent to a syslogger?). You can track that VM's MAC and any movement across physical uplinks/ports. The MAC table would be updated with a gARP if LBT did switch it to another uplink, so you could try that angle.

0 Kudos