VMware Cloud Community
Osaidaz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

is my laptop good for VMware Lab?

Hi.

I'm trying to experiment with VMware Environment. here's my laptop specifications:

Processor: i5 2.50GHz (it supports Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) )

RAM: 8.0 GB

I'll be installing like 3 or 4 windows and linux VMs . I might as well use nested esxi just to experiment with having multiple hosts.

is my laptop good enough for above requirements? I'm really short on budget and can't afford to buy new equipments right now

thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is my laptop good enough for above requirements?

I hate to be the one to tell you, but in all likelihood no, it won't be. If you had hopes of installing ESXi directly on baremetal, it most likely will not even install. ESXi is only for server-class hardware although it *can* work on some desktops, but no laptops. Second, if you did everything inside VMware Workstation (which is on top of a Windows OS), with only 8 GB you're barely have enough resources to run even one of those Windows VMs let alone a nested ESXi plus any VMs. In short, you probably should wait until you have the budget to spend on lab hardware dedicated to learning vSphere. Consider it an investment in your future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

is my laptop good enough for above requirements?

I hate to be the one to tell you, but in all likelihood no, it won't be. If you had hopes of installing ESXi directly on baremetal, it most likely will not even install. ESXi is only for server-class hardware although it *can* work on some desktops, but no laptops. Second, if you did everything inside VMware Workstation (which is on top of a Windows OS), with only 8 GB you're barely have enough resources to run even one of those Windows VMs let alone a nested ESXi plus any VMs. In short, you probably should wait until you have the budget to spend on lab hardware dedicated to learning vSphere. Consider it an investment in your future.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Most laptops (especially consumer grade) will fail with the Gigabit Ethernet requirement. These days most come with Realtek chip (which is not in ESXi HCL). Even if you overcome this with a custom VIB, there is a high chance it will PSOD during the installation process.

The only laptops that I have had success installing bare metal ESXi are 2010 MacBook Pro (which has built-in Broadcom NIC) with ESXi 6.0 and 2014 MacBook Pro (which works with the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter that also has Broadcom chip) with ESXi 6.5.

You don't say which generation the i5 is and how many cores it has. Aside from core count, there are also differences when it comes to virtualisation capabilities/performance between generations of Intel CPUs. And you need at least Westmere Arrandale/Clarkdale i5 (2010) to be able to run Workstation/Player 14/15.

If you want to learn ESXi command-line and/or have a good hands-on with ESXi, you should just use Workstation/Player and create an ESXi VM. But given that it is an i5, which most likely only has 2 cores unless it is something like a quad-core i5-6440HQ, and limited RAM (8GB), you should tone down your expectation of being able to run VMs inside the ESXi VM and being able to run multiple VMs simultaneously with Player 14/15 with a Windows 7 host.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Basically I agree with Chips answer. He assumes that you not only want to run 3-4 VMs but that you also want to work with them.
This 3-4 VMs will be very sluggish - but you should indeed be able to run one virtual ESXi plus 3-4 other VMs with a total of upto 12 - 14 GB RAM assigned to all VMs.
This is good enough to study networking and other aspects of virtualization.
You wont have any fun with nested VMS - dont expect that nested VMs are usable.
I recommend to use an older version of Workstation - probably best choice: WS 12.01
See my tuning guide for Workstation  VMware Continuum - How to assign more RAM to VMs than available ...
In that example I (ran) - rather crawl  10 VMs with 1.5 GB RAM each on a 4GB RAM host ....

0 Kudos