VMware Cloud Community
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

installing EXSI 6.7 on the Host rather than on the USB

Hi all,

I have installed ESXI 6.7 on the USB connected to the host, this was done because I was unable to see the harddrives on the install menu when trying to install ESXI - later to find out this was due to a driver issue which I later resolved by installing the driver after installing the esxi onto the stick. 

Now im in a situation where I have the ESXI os on the stick, which isnt ideal as USB sticks are less robust compared to harddrives. I have already started creating VMs on the harddrive on the host but now want to correct my mistake and install the Esxi OS on the harddrive too however will this now show up when booting to the ESXI installer as I have injected the driver in the host? Also would I loose the VMs I created if I am to install esxi 6.7 on the harddrive which contains the Vms too? Is there a way to export them and reimport if this is the case? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 

If you are already creating machines, it means that you have created a datastore. You must implement the driver in the esx installer.

When installing esxi, the installer will find a datastore, but I suppose there will be no place to install esxi.

The USB stick is not so bad. ESXi only starts from the USB stick and places all modules in memory. Just configure logs to be stored on datastore. 

Regards, 

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @basteku73 

Thanks for the quick response! how do I configure logs to be stored on datastore

Also say if the USB stick dies for what ever reason how would we get back to a working state? 

0 Kudos
basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

U can configure logs on host. go to configure tab --> System --> Advanced System Settings 

And page 32 Syslog.global.logDir --> [NameOfDatastore]log

But you must first create a log on this datastore, and important are the capitals. 

basteku73_0-1656501474471.png

Next, if your usb stick will damage, just replace a new one, install esxi, esxi will find datastore, register vms and voila. 

Of course, you can make a copy of esxi configuration. 

How to back up ESXi host configuration (2042141) (vmware.com)

Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @basteku73 

When you say 

U can configure logs on host. go to configure tab --> System --> Advanced System Settings 

Do you mean by going into the bios set up of the host? 

When you say register Vms will this be done automatically once I reinstall esxi? 

Thanks for you continued help

0 Kudos
basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @Abillen 

ad1. No, I mean to configure this on esxi host: 

But I forgot this is a standalone host so this is other path: Host --> Manage --> System tab --> Advanced settings: 

In search write syslog and find Syslog.global.logDir

Edit option and write value like this:

basteku73_0-1656575886253.png

ad2. No, u must go to browse your datastore so: click Storage--> Your-Datastore --> Datastore browser

Find your vm catalog, go inside and find vmx file. Right click on it, select register VM

Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @basteku73 

I assume this name for the datastore has to reflect the actual name of the datastore you want to back up ? If my data store contains a space then would I need to add a "-" in between when creating the Syslog.global.logDir?

0 Kudos
basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is not about backup, this configuration is to transfer logs to disk. 

I think in square brackets u can write name of the datastore with space. U must try it. 

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry thats what I meant config logs @basteku73 

so if my data store was called HD 2 would it be [HD 2]? 

If I do it incorrect does it error out? I just done want to make a mistake and something go completely wrong

0 Kudos
basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"so if my data store was called HD 2 would it be [HD 2]? "

Yes, but u have to create first folder on this datastore ie logs and the value should look like this: [HD 2]logs

If u will have an error u can safely rename datastore ie HD2 and fill the value again. 

Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay I will give this a go! And let you know the out come!

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @basteku73 

This worked! Now to concur a back up and put it on another stick! You sent me a link within this thread on how to get this done right?  

basteku73
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I sended u the link. 

U just have to save this on local drive of your PC or Notebook. 

Regards, 

Sebastian

0 Kudos