VMware Cloud Community
socbizkaia
Contributor
Contributor

in-guest update of vmware tools

Hi,

I am trying to get what is numbered as 4th method to upgrade vmware tools in the article: Six Methods for Keeping VM Tools Up to Date - VMware vSphere Blog

What I want is to appear inside the Windows guest a notification of an available update of vmware tools and I can click in the system tray to begin with the interactive upgrade method:

pastedImage_1.png

In order to get that notifications, I executed:

get-vm VM-NAME | New-AdvancedSetting -Name isolation.tools.guestInitiatedUpgrade.disable -Value FALSE -Force

However, it is now working. No vmware icon, no message to update VMware Tools.

Any piece of advice?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that this is a good idea ?

An update of vmware-tools can easily break your automatic backups - so you should only update your vmware-tools after looking for new problems in the forum.

0 Kudos
socbizkaia
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I understand that, this is why we use a central repository of VMware Tools for all the esxi hosts and we decide when we want to provide new vmware-tools to our virtual machines.

However, in our organization the responsability of maintaining VMware Tools upgraded corresponds to the administrator of the virtual machine. And, I think this "in-guest update" is a good method to notify admins that there is an upgrade and an easy method to launch the installer without requiring to connect to vcenter to see the warning message of "vmware tools upgrade available".

0 Kudos