VMware Cloud Community
b1izzard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

iSCSI vmkernel

I am reviewing a vCenter 6.5 installation with ESXi hosts using VSS and notice that it was configured with 2 vSwitches for iSCSI.  vSwitch1 has vmk1 with an IP of 192.168.199.10 and only 1 vmnic associated.  vSwitch2 has a vmk2 with an IP of 192.168.199.11 and only 1 vmnic associated as well. 

I am adding new hosts and would like to simplify the networking.  So my question is does it matter if you go the 2 iSCSI vSwitches per ESXi host route, or can I simplify it with just 1 vSwitch, 1 vmkernel for iSCSI, and 2 vmnics that are both in active? 

Also, if I do this, will this freak out vCenter if 3 hosts have vswitch1 and vswitch2 for iSCSI, and the new hosts have just vswitch1 for iSCSI?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... or can I simplify it with just 1 vSwitch, 1 vmkernel for iSCSI, and 2 vmnics that are both in active?

No, that's not a supported configuration.

Many storage vendors recommend the 2 vSwitch/2 VMKernel design. However, a 1 vSwitch/2VMKernel design with active/unused and vice versa vmnics design will also work.

In any case you must assign only a single active vmnic (also no standby nics) to an iSCSI VMKernel portgroup. Two or more VMkernel port groups - depending on the configuration - are used for multipathing purposes, i.e. redundancy, and load balancing.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... or can I simplify it with just 1 vSwitch, 1 vmkernel for iSCSI, and 2 vmnics that are both in active?

No, that's not a supported configuration.

Many storage vendors recommend the 2 vSwitch/2 VMKernel design. However, a 1 vSwitch/2VMKernel design with active/unused and vice versa vmnics design will also work.

In any case you must assign only a single active vmnic (also no standby nics) to an iSCSI VMKernel portgroup. Two or more VMkernel port groups - depending on the configuration - are used for multipathing purposes, i.e. redundancy, and load balancing.

André

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

only with one active uplink per vmkernel port  your are able to configure vmkernel port binding: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
b1izzard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos