VMware Cloud Community
BSiegfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI vSwitch General Question

I am setting up a vSwitch for iSCSI to my Synology DiskStation. When creating the vSwitch it asks for an IP. Will this be the static IP I have for my Synology unit?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have select a VM Kernel Port which always needs a IP address which is fine.  When 2 devices would like to talk each other every device needs a unique IP Address.

If this VMK Port is still needed depends on your existing setup. Would you like to use 2 dedicated pNIC and/or Subnet in your ESXi for iSCSI than go for the new vSwitch, create 2 VMKs and later setup swISCSI.

Regards

Joerg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
oneilv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi BSiegfried​,

Can you please send some screenshots of where it is asking for the IP address while you create the standard switch?

Cheers, Onil

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You have select a VM Kernel Port which always needs a IP address which is fine.  When 2 devices would like to talk each other every device needs a unique IP Address.

If this VMK Port is still needed depends on your existing setup. Would you like to use 2 dedicated pNIC and/or Subnet in your ESXi for iSCSI than go for the new vSwitch, create 2 VMKs and later setup swISCSI.

Regards

Joerg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos