VMware Cloud Community
Oneboss302
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iSCSI target

TLDR:

1. I have been working with Vmware Vcenter for years and I just started with new company

2. Always had a "Network Team" at previous jobs to configure all aspects of networking

3. Need to add a new Datastore on a new WD NAS becuase my SAN is out of space

4. Extremely old environment here. 5.5 (yes.. i know. Actively looking to move all to Azure and upgrade to 7.0)

4. I am LOST! Do I need to add a separate vmware Kernel port or add a whole new standard switch?

Can anyone throw some knowledge to this Noob? Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can put your WD NAS on the same network as your SAN then you don't really need to make any networking changes to VMware. Just add a new storage adapter target to your WD NAS and on the NAS make sure your esxi host's iqn's have access to the LUN's you are exposing. Then add the new datastore and VMware should see that its a blank LUN that you can then allocate/format as VMFS. If I follow in my mind correctly that is what I would do. 

--Alan

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Maybe this info can help you

https://www.vkernel.ro/blog/creating-configuring-iscsi-in-vmware-vsphereesxi-5

https://kb.synology.com/en-me/DSM/tutorial/How_to_Use_iSCSI_Targets_on_VMware_ESXi_Server_with_Multi...

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/vmware-configuring-iscsi-datastore-with-qnap-qes

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
mhabiballa
Contributor
Contributor

You and I are on the same page my friend!. The exact situation is happening with me!. Difference is that I'm a network Engineer who is assigned a major project to upgrade a Flexpod solution in all aspects!, blades, vsphere and netapp!.

I've managed to upgrade all of them successfully. In the vsphere department; I've upgraded it from 5.5 to 6.7u3.

It's not an easy job, taking in mind that the solution is in production for years and contains tremendous amount of servers and VDIs.

Good luck.

PS:

I can advise you about the followings:

# before starting the upgrade, make sure your Servers HW can be supported by vsphere of the specific version. Use vmware interoperability matrice page.

# You cannot upgrade from 5.5. To 7 directly, you have to step it up in phases. 5.5 > 6.0 or 6.5 > 6.7 or 7. Your hardware will constrain you.

# Also, check cmware doc for upgrade guide lines.

About your question, you can add a vmk to the existing sw to connect to the new NFS storage. Depends upon your Topology and requirements.

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Hi,

maybe doing it over nfs could be a little simpler?

Is your prod San using iscsi?

Reg

Christian Z.

0 Kudos
Oneboss302
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Prod SAN is iSCSI indeed. I ended up just doing it as an NFS share for now. I am in the middle of planning moving to all new hardware or into completely into Azure, so I don't want to waste too much time.

Thanks for all the responses everyone!  

0 Kudos