VMware Cloud Community
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

iSCSI share between Windows Server and multiple ESXi servers..

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the configuration should be between a windows server with a 100GB disk, and 2 ESXi servers, I intend to configure these with iSCSI share accessible to both ESXi servers.

Now when I did the above I ran into the below issue.

I manage to configure the disk as iSCSI target, and when setting the initiator and connecting the disk to ESXi 1, I came across the screen to format the disk from the second server as well which means if I have data it will be formatted each time I configure a new server.

My understanding is the disk is formatted to VMFS, however, once I connect the second ESXi server, I get the same format window, which I believe shouldn't be the case.

I attempted it from the second ESXi server with a window refresh for the settings from the 1st ESXi server to have its effect reflected.

Any ideas as to how to get around this or what I could be doing wrong.

Thank You

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. You need to format this disk on first host only.

2. On second host, once you configure ISCSI adapter and static or dynamic discovery correctly, you just need to re-scan storage adapter to discover newly presented datastore because you already have formatted this target as VMFS while configuring on first host.

Make sure on second host your'e not following 'Creating new Datastore' Wizard. Just re scan storage adapters on second host. Select Host > Configure > Storage Devices > Rescan all storage adapters. Then datastore should mount itself on second host.

pastedImage_4.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I honestly don't know why this is double-posted.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. You need to format this disk on first host only.

2. On second host, once you configure ISCSI adapter and static or dynamic discovery correctly, you just need to re-scan storage adapter to discover newly presented datastore because you already have formatted this target as VMFS while configuring on first host.

Make sure on second host your'e not following 'Creating new Datastore' Wizard. Just re scan storage adapters on second host. Select Host > Configure > Storage Devices > Rescan all storage adapters. Then datastore should mount itself on second host.

pastedImage_4.png

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks,

Took me some time but I now understand.

However, can I know how to add the datastore to the list, as now I can't add it to the list of existing datastores.

1.png

2.png

Thanks..

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just refresh the Datastore tab and it should be listed there. There's no such thing to add in to the list.

By the way, both ESXis are on same version or on different ?

0 Kudos
TryllZ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, again..

Some people are just too impatient *me*..

Appreciate the help..