VMware Cloud Community
bharat0044
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI initiator tool

Author : william rogers

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-E9984893-DF64-...

Topic Name : Limitations of vSAN

Publication Name : Administering VMware vSAN

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/6.5

Question :

What is the suggested method for deploying iSCSI initiator host for VSAN cluster. I mean do we need to use physical host or VM with in the VSAN cluster for this.  Also, is it possible to configure iSCSI tool with in the VSAN cluster.  Regards, Bharat

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you asking about making use of the vSAN iSCSI target service?

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

For ISCSI Target on VSAN, find the following:

pastedImage_0.png

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
bharat0044
Contributor
Contributor

Hi daphnissov,

I am interested to know more about how can we setup iSCSI initiator tool for vSAN iSCSI target service.

What is the suggested method for this. Will a VM in  VSAN cluster Group  network suffice for this ? or a physical host is required ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Bharat

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know what you mean by"iSCSI initiator tool". What is that? Or are you just asking about any host which can consume storage from vSAN?

0 Kudos
bharat0044
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Daphnissov,

This is with the reference of VSAN HOL-1808-01-HCI LAB.  Module-4 covers with setup of iSCSI initiator tool  on  windows Main Console VM.  I understand that this setup was for  LAB setup.

Please could you elaborate on how the iSCSI initiator tool  could be setup for  a standard VSAN Cluster setup.

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bharat

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That's just the regular iSCSI service that comes with Windows. Any Windows OS has that built in. There is no vSAN initiator service but there is a *target* service you enable on the cluster. Please read the official documentation for that. Once configured, you connect your initiator to it with the name provided.

0 Kudos