VMware Cloud Community
Petersaints
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

iSCSI and vSAN sharing same physical interfaces - 25Gbit

Hello all,

I will have to share the same physical nics between vSAN and iSCSI.

On my infrastructure, vSAN is using vmic0 as active and vmnic1 as standby.

I need to configure iSCSI to connect to a storage system and  I will need to use the same physical interfaces. The target (4 ip addresses) and the initiators will be on the same network.

My question is how can I configure the iSCSI to grant that vSAN and iSCSI aren't using the same interface?

Option 1:

- add only one vmkernel to iSCSI and put vmnic0 on standby and vmnic 1 as active (because on vSAN vmkernel I have vmic0 active and vmnic1 standby). Can I use this configuration?  will I have redundancy?

Option 2:

- if  I create  two vmkernels:

vmkernel- iSCSI1 with vmnic0 active and vmnic1 unused and vmkernel- iSCSI2 with vmnic0 unused and vmnic1 active, one of the vmkernel's will be using at the same time, the same nic as the vSAN, right?

What should i do?

Thanks.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you're trying to do really isn't a good idea and you should find another way to dedicate those pNICs to either vSAN or iSCSI traffic. Otherwise, you risk getting into big trouble with performance and then troubleshooting processes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you're trying to do really isn't a good idea and you should find another way to dedicate those pNICs to either vSAN or iSCSI traffic. Otherwise, you risk getting into big trouble with performance and then troubleshooting processes.

0 Kudos