VMware Cloud Community
mavier
Contributor
Contributor

iDrive VM Backup ESXI 5.5

Hello,

we running ESXI 5.5. tried to backup one VM with iDrive. but i every time i get this error message in the iDrive log:

"[ERROR] Reason: Snapshot creation failed, Please check the license of vmware for creation of snapshot"

i asked iDrive, they said the problem is the vmware license. is that true? or any other idea to solve this problem?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If your ESXi server only has a free license, it will not support the APIs needed for VM-level backup tools.

Note also that 5.5 is a LONG way out of support, you should be on 6.5 or later if possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mavier
Contributor
Contributor

under vsphere > licensed functions the only function is 8-way virtual smp (is there the backup api missing?). and product vsphere hypervisor 1 physical cpu (unlimited cores per cpu).

where can i see if we have the correct license?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the product "vsphere 5 hypervisor" says that you have the free license, otherwise it would say "vsphere 5 enterprise (or standard)"

so the api is readonly for you

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere Hypervisor is the free edition, which does not include the backup API.

How have you been backing up any of your VMs up til now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
mavier
Contributor
Contributor

backups created with acronis inside the vm, no complete vm backup. it was installed from our old IT company. and i'm looking for a better solution for that.

the server is an old hp proliant, the one vm is an old sbs2011. before we invest in new one i will try to make it as safe as possible. any idea where to get the correct license for that old esxi? is it possible to upgrade the esxi 5.5 to a newer version without getting in trouble?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Unless you upgrade your vSphere license then in-VM backups are your only "hot" option, like you've been doing.

A server of that age may not be supported by more recent ESXi versions, you can check there here: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

0 Kudos