VMware Cloud Community
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i no longer can see my networks in my Networking inventory

If i go to my vcenter and go to the tab Netwoking, i only can see one network, named Produccion, but i have another 3, MGMT, vMotion and BCKUP. any clue why i'm not able to see my others networks?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe the Networking inventory view has always worked that way for standard switches - there may be other areas of the vSphere Client where the display is different, but not the Networking inventory tree.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
NicolasAlauzet
Jump to solution

Do you have only one ESXi?

Are you using vCenter?

Give us a little bit more information of your platform to understand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Triple VCIX (CMA-NV-DCV) | vExpert | MCSE | CCNA
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If I remember corretcly the issue is that you do not have that network configured on all ESXi with the same name (Supposing that you are using vSphere Standard Switches)

For doing a test, configure a portgroup named test in one ESXi and then configure the same respecting all the characters on the rest of the hosts and see what happen.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you using standard or distributed switch?

0 Kudos
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it's a cluster with 5 hosts, i'm using vcsa 6.7 U3

0 Kudos
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Standard

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Are the 3 which are "missing" all used by VMkernel ports? It sounds like it from those names.

If so, they are not "networks" for VMs - they are not VM Port Groups, which is what I would expect the Networking tab to show.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that is correct, those 3 are not networks for vms, but in the network tab i was able to see them always, suddenly they are no more and i wanna know why

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK so I just setup a test environment, and on standard switches the Networking inventory ONLY shows VM Port Groups.

esxi01 vSwitch0

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 15.09.53.png

esxi02 vSwitch0

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 15.09.27.png

Networking inventory

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 15.10.24.png

0 Kudos
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if i understand, those vswitches used by vmkernel are not showed in the network inventory is that right? any explanation why? cause i used to see them there. i don't know if is due to the upgrade in vcsa

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe the Networking inventory view has always worked that way for standard switches - there may be other areas of the vSphere Client where the display is different, but not the Networking inventory tree.

0 Kudos
msantos91
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I appreciate the clarification, really. Is there any technical documentation that indicates what you told me?

0 Kudos