VMware Cloud Community
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

i downloaded ESXi 7.0. it seems like vSphere client has an easier way to accomplishing mirroring

Hi, I am using windows 10. I uploaded an OVF of security onion. I know this community does not share info about security onion, but i thought i would mention what i am using to do my mirroring to my windows 10. 

I saw a video that used vSphere web client that has a section for creating port mirroring. I ESXi does not have this section. 

-     I am confused about downloading vSphere because it seems like it costs a lot of money.

I saw this link (by the way, it took me several tries for this link to show anything) " https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsp... ".

i am confused between if I need VMsware vCenter and vSphere web client, and i dont even see ?

"vSphere web client" dosnt appear to be on this website, so, its probably just vSphere. I am wondering if vSphere is free or do i need to look at another link to download it. 

thanks for any advice or suggestions

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Port mirroring is a function of the vSphere Distributed Switch, which requires that your ESXi hosts are managed by a licensed vCenter Server and that the hosts themselves are licensed with a vSphere Enterprise Plus license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
When you install VMware vSphere (ESXi Host and vCenter) you have a demo license for 60 days with all features active. After that time you must enter a paid license or a free license (only on ESXi Host).
Each ESXi host requires a license and the vCenter server requires another license.

In this link you can access to an evaluation of the product.
https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vsphere-eval-7

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

About the VMware vSphere web client is included in the ESXi host (Host client) which has certain features.
The VMware vSphere web client is also included in the vCenter Server with all its features.
To access the web client simply use a browser to the IP of the ESXi host or vCenter Server.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

HI scott28tt, 

I am new to all of this, so, let me get this straight, you have to have vSphere so you can use the distributed switch, which is the only way to accomplish mirroring from windows 10 ports. Just having ESXi will not accomplish this?

Is my ESXi hosts my windows 10 OS or my VMware workstation? or, is the vCenter server the host that allows mirrowing from ESXi?"

Are these prices real for a vCenter server license? 

vSphere Edition

Cost

Basic Support

vCenter Server Standard

$6,175

$1,297

vCenter Server Foundation

$1,535

$560

Standard -Remote Office

$3,085

$648

Advanced -Remote Office

$4,635

$973

"

And are you saying that in order to use the vCenter server. But in order the use vCenter server, you have to have vSphere enterprices plus?

VMware or Hyper-V? Part 3: Virtualization Licensing Costs

vSphere Edition

Cost

Basic Support

Standard (requires vCenter)

$995

$273

Enterprise Plus (requires vCenter)

$3,595

$755

Platinum (Enterprise Plus & AppDefense -requires vCenter)

$4,595

Standard – Acceleration Kit

$11,350

$2,935

8 more rows

Jul 30, 2019

These prices are a little bit high for me. I am a one man shop. So does it mean you have to be a big company to use these tools?

Does this I am in over my head?

thanks

0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Commander, thanks for the links. As i mentioned in this post, i am new to these tools. The 
cost of these tools might be way above my budget. But that said, let me try to understand 
somethings. 

I understand that i can use the vCenter or the VSphere evaluations until the trial period
is up, then you have to buy their licenses, for a bunch of money. Do you suggest I use another
route like the windows 10 Hyper-v instead of ESXi etc? I dont have the money you guys are 
asking for. It seems like these tools are for bigger companies.

So when i installed ESXi by itself, it does not come with vSphere or vCenter. I think I understand
that.  But when you buy and install vSphere , it includes ESXi and vCenter? I think i understand
that as well. 

So, it means that to monitor my home network with mirrowing, I have to buy vSphere for a 
bunch of money?

thanks for your advice

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I’m not knowledgeable enough to understand why you need port mirroring, but if that’s the function you need then yes you will need a vSphere Enterprise Plus license for any ESXi host, plus the ESXi hosts must be managed by a vCenter Server as that’s how you setup and manage the vSphere Distributed Switch which has the port mirroring functionality.

Unless you can do the mirroring you need directly in Windows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

thanks scott. I am trying to build a home lab to see all the packet info or data in from the internet to my network and any request comming from my network to the internet using VMware Workstation, ESXi and security onion. thanks for the info, i will look at it for a while. 

0 Kudos
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

thanks again commander. i read the links. 

0 Kudos