VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

how many vms with specific vcpu can run on a server that has 32 logical processor

I have 5 server in my cluster (DL380P G8 - esxi 6.7) each of them has 32 Logical processor now want to know with regardless of memory maximum vcpu vms that I can create is a vm with 32 vcpu now want to know how many vms with 32vcpu can create on this host ? (with regardless of Memory)

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a hard maximum of 4096 virtual CPUs per host.

So the hard answer to your question is 128 VMs (4096/32)

However, you would have CPU contention as soon as you powered on the second VM.

What you should be considering is how many CPUs your VMs need, the expected utilisation per VM, and what level of performance you wish to achieve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is a hard maximum of 4096 virtual CPUs per host.

So the hard answer to your question is 128 VMs (4096/32)

However, you would have CPU contention as soon as you powered on the second VM.

What you should be considering is how many CPUs your VMs need, the expected utilisation per VM, and what level of performance you wish to achieve.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Please look at the following link, I hope it can help you to find out the relation of pCPU ~ vCPU:

vCPU to pCPU Ratios - Are they still relevant? - VMware vSphere Blog

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos