VMware Cloud Community
niceguy001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

how does CPU type affect VM's performance?

this question might be easy to answer but I'm still confused about it.

Assume that the latest vSphere 6.7 is adopted while the amount of  processors per server node, the server hardware(e.g. memory, storage...etc), tuning, VMs' hardware,firmware, BIOS(with default configurations) and even the security mitigation settings are all the same.

if the 24 cores intel 6252 processor and the 18 cores intel 6254 processor are chosen to perform same benchmark(say view planner or VMmark) respectively to evaluate the performance.

Is it possible to predict which processor will provide slightly better performance for VMs?

Or maybe the system must to be fully loaded to see the differences?

Seemed that the processor with more cores will apparently support more tasks(vCPUS) but not sure how the CPU frequency and cache size affect the VMs' performance...

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you cannot compare them simply, because it depends on many factors, total VM load, usage peak, application dependencies and so on ...

But it's a good plan to deploy two VM with the same hardware settings and similar OS and application load on both ESXi hosts, Then compare their performance metrics in a specific time duration and analyze the results for the conclusion

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you cannot compare them simply, because it depends on many factors, total VM load, usage peak, application dependencies and so on ...

But it's a good plan to deploy two VM with the same hardware settings and similar OS and application load on both ESXi hosts, Then compare their performance metrics in a specific time duration and analyze the results for the conclusion

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos