VMware Cloud Community
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

how can we find again a booting message written in red ?

Hello every-body,

I'm a new-comer. The Vsphere 6.0u3 is booting a message in RED si displayed to shorty, I thing that's an important error message. On the server on which the VSphere hypervisor is booting, we can read many black and white logs files, but which is the good one that talks about this red message ? 

Par avance, merci.

Jean-Claude

0 Kudos
11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You'll have to be more specific. What are you talking about here? vCSA or ESXi? A VM? Something else??

0 Kudos
imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you ssh to the host (you may need to enable the ssh service), then run the command /var/log/boot.gz|more this should then show you the boot logs

JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using ESXi 6.0u3 with it"s embedded host client and with windows sphere client. It's near alone.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Right but are you seeing messages in red when booting ESXi?

0 Kudos
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

Thank-you @imacfj

It must be the right way.

However it's answering me Permission denied. Please, could you explain to me a little more ?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I think that"s why I told, it's displayed the message in red only 100 or 200 millisecond, after the boot is finished and we have a standard black and yellow screen.

0 Kudos
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

imacfj

I have enabled shell trough "customize" "troubleshooting options", however I don't know exactly the difference between enable SSH (I understand that it means remote) and "Enable ESXi shell"

0 Kudos
imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you navigate to the host through vsphere, then go to the configuration tab-> Security profile -> Properties (next to Services under security profile) then you should see the SSH service there. Start that then you should be able to SSH to the host

Once this is enabled you should also be able to use something like WinSCP to show the files on the host and navigate to /var/log if this is easier, then you can export them too

imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if you're using the web client, go to the host -> Manage tab -> Settings -> security profile then edit

0 Kudos
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

@imacfj In Vsphere, configuration tab->security profile->properties is difficult to find, find it with your help (Thanks !) ,

but the problem wasn't running SSH, it was aleady running and I was logged as root. However this was your typing /var/log/boot.gz|more that displayed Permission denied, where is the command in /var/log/boot.gz|more ?

0 Kudos
JeanClaudeinFra
Contributor
Contributor

Thank  you very much , I think I found the right command

"zcat /var/log/boot.gz"