VMware Cloud Community
rajukasa
Contributor
Contributor

hosts on 2 different esxi not able to communicate : Lab setup

Hi ,

I have installed 2 esxi's on 2 different laptops and installed 1 VM ( server 2016 data center ) on each esxi host ( Vsphere 6.5 ) ....i have configured all static IPs ....

Installed VM1 ( server 2016 )  on  esxi 1 ( host 1 )

Installed VM2  ( server 2016 ) on esx i 2 ( host 2 )

can able to ping host 1 ( esxi 1 ) from VM1 ( server 2016 )   on host 2( esxi 2 ) and vise versa  .

but cannot ping VM1 ( server 2016 ) from VM2 on host 2 and vise versa .

Tags (1)
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You've likely got a networking problem outside your ESXi hosts. ESXi does not implement any firewall rules on virtual machine port groups. Also, I'll just say that ESXi is not meant for laptops at all, only enterprise-class hardware. You also say "host" when you're referring to "VM". "Host" means ESXi host. "VM" means the virtual machine you run on/inside ESXi.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

just to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

• Host = ESXi server
  • Guest = virtual machine

Anyway, if the guests (Windows) cannot ping each other, then the first step is to ensure that ICMP (ping) traffic is not blocked by the Windows firewall, which is the default.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The terms you have used are muddled, particularly when you say "host" - it is unclear what setup you have.

• Is ESXi installed directly on the laptops, or is ESXi running in VMs on those laptops?
  • If ESXi is running in VMs, what software is running those VMs?
  • Are the Windows Server 2016 instances running in VMs on ESXi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

It is not very clear what you have installed. You can be more precise about what you have installed, the version and on what hardware.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
rajukasa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi scott ,

thanks for your prompt response  ,sorry i was new to setup a lab so there is some mistakes in describing ...

1 .Esxi installed directly on the laptop ...

2. yes both Server 2016 running as VM in those esxi host .

0 Kudos
rajukasa
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the reply , by mistake i described them wrongly ...

installed VM ( server 2016 ) on Esxi ( host )

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

OK, so the initial problem is that your Windows Server 2016 VMs cannot ping one another, but each of them can ping ESXi.

In which case you seem to have network connectivity between the physical and virtual networks.

Check the firewall settings in the Windows Server 2016 instances to make sure they accept inbound ICMP: How To Enable Ping In Windows Server 2016 Firewall

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos