VMware Cloud Community
mgnyinyinaing
Contributor
Contributor

guest os can't ping to host

Hi All,

I have esxi 6.0 one host and three windows server 2012 R2 guest oss on it.

I configured correct ip setting on esxi and one windows server as following but I can't reach the guest os either from esxi or outside vm network.

IP settings on esxi

IP : 192.168.61.119

Subnet : 255.255.255.0

default gateway : 192.168.61.1

IP settings on guest os

IP : 192.168.61.120

Subnet : 255.255.255.0

default gateway : 192.168.61.1

vm.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

If the host and the guest are on same vLAN ID, can you confirm that both the portgroups(VMkernel and VM network) have vLAN tagging done?

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
mgnyinyinaing
Contributor
Contributor

VM network port group is on vlan 10.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On fresh installed Windows Server 2012 R2, ICMP-4 won't work due to default disabled firewall. Disable Firewall on Windows guest OS and check to isolate issue. If it works, make necessary changes in Windows Firewall.

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

Have you allowed vLAN10 on the physical nic..?

can you confirm again, if management and VM network is same vLAN.

If they are same then it confirms that the physical network connectivity is fine,

then you can check the guest OS firewall as mentioned by the other comment./

run below from admin command prompt

netsh firewall set icmpsetting 8

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
SP2911
Contributor
Contributor

Please check the network setting on the guest os, Subnet, DNS and default gateway. Also, could you confirm if you are able to ping the others VM in the same Port group?

This Article Might help you in understanding the concept of virtual network configuration.

Understand How Virtual Machine Traffic Routes

Regards,

Shridhant

0 Kudos
SP2911
Contributor
Contributor

Also, please share the screenshot of the Setting of the VM.

0 Kudos
munirasu
Contributor
Contributor

Hope you don't need to tag the VLAN for VMNetwork portgroup. Because ESXi and VM are same VLAN, ESXi is reachable from out side network. Tagged VLAN might be worng.

Also ensure that which is the active adapter for problematic VM. Unsing esxtop command.

0 Kudos