VMware Cloud Community
Schaedle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

get mac address of external physical switch

Hi,

is there any way to get the mac address of the external hardware switch, where my ESXi is physically connected to?

Thanks Wolfgang

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
goliat585858
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think this is quite unusual approach, as normally you can enable CDP/LLDP on your switch, and then identify physical switch name and port number in vSphere Client and get mac address from the switch.

If you don't have any other possibilities I would try with

1. Connect to host with putty.

2.Replace vmnic0 with your nic number.  Run command : pktcap-uw --uplink vmnic0 -c 500 -o /tmp/test.pcap

3. Connect to host with WinSCP and copy test.pcap file

4. Open file in Wireshark

5. Check STP or LOOP protocol

Mac_Address_Vmware.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is possible through CDP.

Check this KB: VMware Knowledge Base

Let us know the ESXi version and the details of external hardware switch (make, model) which is connected to this ESXi host.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
Schaedle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi pragg12,

thanks for the KB Article this was not new for me, but there is no information presented. It's only a Standard License.

I only know the ESXi Version - this is 6.7 all other is unknown for me and this is the reason why I want to know what's behind that physical port. Unfortunately I'm over 10.000km away from the hardware and I'm not sure what the local supporter really did.

Thanks Wolfgang

0 Kudos
goliat585858
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I think this is quite unusual approach, as normally you can enable CDP/LLDP on your switch, and then identify physical switch name and port number in vSphere Client and get mac address from the switch.

If you don't have any other possibilities I would try with

1. Connect to host with putty.

2.Replace vmnic0 with your nic number.  Run command : pktcap-uw --uplink vmnic0 -c 500 -o /tmp/test.pcap

3. Connect to host with WinSCP and copy test.pcap file

4. Open file in Wireshark

5. Check STP or LOOP protocol

Mac_Address_Vmware.png

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Schaedle

Did you get what you were looking for ?

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
Schaedle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi pragg12,

sorry for my late replay. I had some bigger problems so I had to postpone this case here. It looks brillant and I'm sure this will help me. Hopefully I can go back to this in two days.

When it worked I'll mark you're answer as correct one. Many, many thanks for this great solution!

Wolfgang

0 Kudos