VMware Cloud Community
linuly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

extend

hi,

let`s say we have a datastore with VMs inside.Then the datasore is full -i wish to expand a logical volume in an VM within this datastore.

-I must to extend the LUN on which is created this datasore or add new LUN to this datastore,then i can add disk to VM -expand the LV.right?

Can i add a new LUN then create a different datastore -then add a new disk to the VM in order to expand the LV?

tnx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well if you create a new disk on another datastore, it will appear as a new disk in Windows as well. (Unless you want a complicated life with Windows storage spaces spanning disks on multiple datastores) << This is not an option, merely sarcasm Smiley Wink.

Your datastore is full so you need to tend to that issue anyway, you can't leave it like that.

An option would be to create a new Lun / Datastore, migrate the VM to this datastore and then extend the virtual disk / LV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I am going to link KB1003412 about full datastores rather than copy paste.

You will be able to extend your VM disk once the datastore it resides on has enough free space (usually account for an extra 20% for snapshots).

To have said datastore have enough space -> see link above -> Solution section.

0 Kudos
linuly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can i add a new LUN then create a different datastore -then add a new disk to the VM in order to expand the LV?

0 Kudos
vXav
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well if you create a new disk on another datastore, it will appear as a new disk in Windows as well. (Unless you want a complicated life with Windows storage spaces spanning disks on multiple datastores) << This is not an option, merely sarcasm Smiley Wink.

Your datastore is full so you need to tend to that issue anyway, you can't leave it like that.

An option would be to create a new Lun / Datastore, migrate the VM to this datastore and then extend the virtual disk / LV.

0 Kudos