VMware Cloud Community
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

esxi host server screen resolution

How can you change the screen resolution on a esxi host server?

11 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you are talking about the DCUI (yellow-gray console) then no, you cannot change the resolution.

André

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

my hp proliant dl380 gen 10 servers, the display does work with the server and they told me it was cause the resolution is to high and i needed to change it to get it to work with the server

0 Kudos
dskwared
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I agree with a.p.​, I'm not aware of a method you can use to change the screen resolution on the DCUI. If you're running into a display or resolution problem, have you tried connecting to the host via SSH and running the command DCUI? That will bring up a text-based version of the DCUI in the SSH window.

jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I enabled ssh, logged in as root , ran the command DCUI and it did not recognize that command

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That only works when using Putty, to my knowledge.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

makes sense but for security reason I am not allowed to keep ssh enabled even if it did work to remote to the servers, I need to get it working with the KVM. The KVM vendor says the resolution is set too high on the server but with the esxi OS I don't see anyway to change it.  If I get another newer kvm there is no assurance it will work with that either

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You might want to run that by HPE. I've never heard or seen of an ESXi installation where the default resolution was considered so high that monitors and KVMs won't work with it.

0 Kudos
jprovine7
Expert
Expert

I already did run it by HPE Smiley Sad there answer was to adjust the resolution but I told them that I didn't think that was possible in the esxi OS. The one thing I know for sure is it doesn't work with the monitor of my sunview KVM but it does work with  an external monitor

0 Kudos
erguny
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a way to change the resolution?

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

if it is working fine with external monitor then no issue from host side

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
erguny
Contributor
Contributor

It is not working with an external monitor. The monitor is saying that the resolution is too high for it to display. Another host is working fine on the same monitor.

0 Kudos