VMware Cloud Community
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

esxi 6.7 not picking up any hard drives to install the installer on

Hi,

I am trying to install ESXI 6.7 on our new Dell Host the harddrive I have in there isnt detected, I have tried multiple harddrives 

IMG_5240.jpg

What step am I missing? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I am guessing you need to manually install the driver VIB. Do you want to use the USB for ESXi itself and run the VMs on that disk? If so, then continue the install, download the driver VIB via the link above and install it. Just noticed this post on Reddit, it describes the same situation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/ql0dfr/esxi_67_u3_does_not_show_perc_h750_raid/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Perhaps the disk controller isn't supported, check here: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you possibility work out if its supported please? 

Here is the spec:

Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 2.05.57 PM.png

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Also do you need to configure raid or does not relate to it not being visible?  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you configure the drives/volumes at all? You need to make sure the drives are either presented as RAID-0, RAID-1, or even passthrough as that is supported by the controller, depending on what you need. The device is supported, so it should work:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=io&productid=54125&vcl=true

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi 

I have not formatted the drive as this came new - what format does it need to be? 

I only have one harddrive that we want in there currently as I only have one harddrive with enough space.... can I still configure raid with only one harddrive? 

So once raid is configured would this essentially work? 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your screenshot showed a H750 RAID controller, you would look for that in the compatibility portal (although it seems that it's now been done for you)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Scott,

So do I need to configure the harddrive as raid 0? And can this be done with one harddrive? 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How many devices are connected to it? What do you want to achieve? 

Let's say you have 1 device, then you configure it as either passthrough or RAID-0 with that 1 device.

Let's say you have 2 devices connected and need protection, then you configure it as RAID-1 with those 2 devices in the RAID set.

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

By device do you mean harddrive? If so the one

What we are trying to achieve is install Vmware hypervisor esxi on this host server so that I can spin up 2 servers which will be our RRAS server and our DC.

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

So I have now configured the harddrive with RAID 0 and it still isnt being seen by the installer!

one.jpgtwo.jpg 

Any ideas? Does everything look correct? @depping @scott28tt 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I am guessing you need to manually install the driver VIB. Do you want to use the USB for ESXi itself and run the VMs on that disk? If so, then continue the install, download the driver VIB via the link above and install it. Just noticed this post on Reddit, it describes the same situation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/ql0dfr/esxi_67_u3_does_not_show_perc_h750_raid/

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your screenshot shows "Virtual Disks" = 0.

What you basically need to do is to configure the RAID, and then create a "VD" (that's how Dell calls its logical volumes) on that RAID set, which will be presented to the operating system.

André

0 Kudos
virtume
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Seems you haven't configured RAID levels. Also, check the hardware compatibility of the Raid Controller card with ESXi version. 

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

How do I configure raid levels I thought I already did that. Also how do I find out its compatible with the ESXI version Which is Hypervisor Standard  6.7u3

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I will give this a go and let you know then I will look at trying @depping method as it seems more difficult - I want to run the two VMs on the harddrive I put in the host but I aslo want to run VMware on it too rather than the memory stick

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We've already covered compatibility above.

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi 

@scott28tt @virtume @a_p_ @depping I have configured a Virtual disk however I still cant see when booting into the ESXI 6.7 installer? Raid 0 is also configured any ideas? 

Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 1.08.03 PM.png 

0 Kudos
Abillen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Anything I can try @scott28tt @virtume @a_p_ @depping

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well you seemed to have ignored Duncan's previous reply:

0 Kudos