VMware Cloud Community
Bushmaster556
Contributor
Contributor

esxi 5.0 smtp notifications

Hello,

I am trying to get the server to send smtp notifications based upon alarm events.

I tried following the directions however I get stuck at the very first step.   I am using vmware vsphere to login to the server.  The directions then say to go under the "administrator" tab and select  "vcenter server settings" however that is not an option at all.

I also do not see any options for alarms.  

Can someone please shed some light on this and help me to find the smtp settings.

Thanks

11 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Hi

It may vary depending on your vsphere version, I got to see a article explaining the setting what you were talking about :How to Configure vCenter Server SMTP Mail Settings in VMWare vCenter Server – VMwareMinds

Also I got to see steps for new version of vsphere as below please take a look :
Configure Mail Sender Settings

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The options you see in vSphere web-client are categorized in different way which you won't find in traditional c# vsphere client. Please post the snippet and reference link you are following.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

Could you tell me whats the version of vsphere and vcenter that you are using ?

0 Kudos
Bushmaster556
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere client version 5.0

vmware esxi version 5.0

I have no idea about the vcenter.  Maybe I need to install vcenter?  

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

ESXi 5.0 is already out of support long back

Latest I see vsphere 6.7 .

however check below link and that shows options from vcenter so you should get vcneter installed to get SMTP configured for esxi :

Question:How To Configure SMTP Settings On vSphere 5 - Microsoft Azure Infrastructure

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

regards

Gayathri

Bushmaster556
Contributor
Contributor

vmware.jpg

I am following the same directions as posted above:

or these :

Configure vCenter Server SMTP Mail Settings

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

On standalone ESXI host without vCenter, you have to create a firewall rule for SMTP.

https://kb.gtkc.net/adding-firewall-rules-to-esxi-5-5/

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

This works for 5.0 ?   :

https://kb.gtkc.net/adding-firewall-rules-to-esxi-5-5/

I haven't tried this but you can check as Vijay mentioned.

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yes, this works. I tested this long time back. Just to inform you this require much more configuration with cron job (something similar we say Task scheduler in Windows) which will schdule a script to run.

This is something I would recommend only if you really need emails from single/standalone ESXI and there's no option for vCenter :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Bushmaster556
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone stear me as to how to install vCenter please?  Is this something that gets installed on the server?  or another machine?

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

You have quick youtube vedio and vmware KB article on best practice :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzN53Qtjybs

VMware Knowledge Base

NOTE:
vcenter should always be on higher version or equivalent version to your esxi hosts.

This is when you can add your host to vcneter and manage esxi hosts from vcenter .

0 Kudos