VMware Cloud Community
Rollo82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

end of evaluation version

hi everyone... if i use the evaluation version of vsphere 6.7 for create new VM, migrating old VM from old vsphere, use the new "evaluation" server for replication etc... when evaluation period expire what happends? can i use the free vmware vsphere key to activate the host and just start the previusly created VMs? ok, no other replications etc... but the already created VMs should works, correct?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi, Rollo.

When evaluation period expires, the ESXi will disconnect from vCenter server and you will only be able to use ESXi free version features. VMs in the host will continue to run normally, but you won´t be able to manage the from vCenter console, only Host Client.

Also, some features will become unavailable like a maximum of 8 vCPU per VM. If the host is in a cluster, it won´t be able to do vMotion and HA.

Hope this answer is helpful to you.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It should, but it probably depends on what features you use. You say "vsphere" in your post, but are you actually referring to ESXi in the end which is using the free version? The free version of ESXi cannot be managed by a vCenter Server, so you don't get vSphere at that point.

0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi, Rollo.

When evaluation period expires, the ESXi will disconnect from vCenter server and you will only be able to use ESXi free version features. VMs in the host will continue to run normally, but you won´t be able to manage the from vCenter console, only Host Client.

Also, some features will become unavailable like a maximum of 8 vCPU per VM. If the host is in a cluster, it won´t be able to do vMotion and HA.

Hope this answer is helpful to you.

Regards

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In what ways are you still evaluating vSphere?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Rollo82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! This is what I need. No vcenter etc etc etc.

I need to use evaluation version only to move VMs from old vcenter. Stop. The old situation was a production machine in a very very big company. Now the company is closed, no money and no "physical office". I need to "zip" the company's servers in a little and economic solution.

The problem was only to move the VMs so I need the "evaluation" version. After that, the free version is ok for the new needs. I was only in doubt if the VMs may be blocked.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos