VMware Cloud Community
vPat
Contributor
Contributor

domain controller causes all my vm's to be disconnected in vsphere

I have a 2008 DC that I would like to retire, I don't see any references to this old DC in vsphere anywhere, but when I power down the DC all my VM's show disconnected in vsphere, they are still running but just show disconnected in vsphere, when I power back up the DC they all come back, I have looked everywhere in vsphere and again don't see anything pointing to it, how and where could the entry be that would be causing the disconnects? Thanks

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Is the DC also your DNS? If your looking into vCenter when seeing the disconnected VMs?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
belky
Contributor
Contributor

DNS is for sure part of a DC, so that is the right place to look. Maybe on the VMs them selves? Or vCenter?

0 Kudos
vPat
Contributor
Contributor

yes DNS is, I don't think it would be on the VM itself because that would not affect vcenter, as I said I am not able to see where its referenced anywhere in vcenter which is why I am posting

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Hmmm .... Layer8 Problem 😉

1. If you add your Host to the vcenter with its Hostname/FQDN and not by its IP
  2. If you check VAMI... https:/vcsa:5480/  instead vCenter you will see the network configuration of the PhotonOS

If you shut down your one and only DNS... the vcenter service cant find the ESXi Host anymore and you will see the Host (not reachable) and also all VMs from that Host market as non reachable.

As a quick workaround you can tweak the /etc/hosts on your VCSA.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos