VMware Cloud Community
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

difference between machine SSL certificate and solution certificate

Hi,

what is the difference between machine SSL certificate and solution certificate in simple words. I could not get it from VMware docs.

Where vSphere Uses Certificates

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A machine certificate is a certificate presented by the system itself when exposed through most applications such as web servers. It identifies the machine and provides provenance to other would-be connecting systems. In vCenter, a solution certificate is a certificate issued to an internal function (of which there are many). This certificate is NOT presented to outside systems and only identifies an internal function. From a functional perspective, do replace the machine certificate; ​do not replace the solution user certificates.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A machine certificate is a certificate presented by the system itself when exposed through most applications such as web servers. It identifies the machine and provides provenance to other would-be connecting systems. In vCenter, a solution certificate is a certificate issued to an internal function (of which there are many). This certificate is NOT presented to outside systems and only identifies an internal function. From a functional perspective, do replace the machine certificate; ​do not replace the solution user certificates.

0 Kudos
vSohill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you daphnissov ,

Very helpful answer, I would like to confirm if I understood right. In case of any solution will integrate with vCenter will it use machine certificate only  ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, when other programs talk to vCenter Server it is the machine certificate they will be hitting.

0 Kudos