VMware Cloud Community
jeffcapes
Contributor
Contributor

data centre training scope

Albeit not a technical query, but does your organisation require formal training for your data centre personnel (where you server hardware is located) to ensure they are trained properly to perform their job functions. And if so, what does the training cover. I know there are common sense prohibitions such as not allowing engineers to eat, drink etc in the facility, but I was interested in what the training covers above and beyond the basics, and is this a one-off exercise for new recruits, or something you do refresher training on, on an annual basis? I’m on about maintenance tasks that require physical access to the data centre, as opposed to broader systems administration tasks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

In my opinion, the staff must be constantly trained on compliance with the safety rules in the workplace, it may seem trivial but in any activity where we may find ourselves physically manipulating something, such as an object with a non-negligible weight, it can lead to accidents especially when the work becomes too repetitive the resulting confidence leads to underestimate the circumstances.

Having said that, again in my opinion, this is a very generic discussion because the set of rules you can meet applied in large or very large datacenters are often different from those you can find in much more modest datacenters also because they are often conceived in a "physically" different way.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos