VMware Cloud Community
Apostolisep3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot ping host on vlan 4095

Hello all,

i have a host which is connected on a switch and the port is trunk with vlans allowed 13 and 37, when i change the vlan of the management network to vlan 4095 i lose the ping on the host.

as soon as i revert the change and put vlan 13 i get the ping back.

any ideas?

the server is an HP proliant 360 G7 with esxi 6.0.0 installed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A port group with VLAN 4095 will receive network packets including the VLAN tag. ESXi however expects non-tagged traffic on the Management port group. For the Management Network you may either set a VLAN ID (other than 4095) in case of tagged traffic, or VLAN ID 0 in case of non-tagged traffic.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well if you don't allow in your switch VLAN 4095, you won't be able to access the host.

Once you allow it, you should be able to change the VLAN inside the ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
Apostolisep3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have already done that and also added the vlan 13 as native vlan but no success.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

4095 isn't a vlan, its a number that represents all vlans.

VLAN ID 4095 - Yellow Bricks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A port group with VLAN 4095 will receive network packets including the VLAN tag. ESXi however expects non-tagged traffic on the Management port group. For the Management Network you may either set a VLAN ID (other than 4095) in case of tagged traffic, or VLAN ID 0 in case of non-tagged traffic.

André

0 Kudos
Apostolisep3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys thanks for the help

last answer helped a lot and we manage to find the solution and the problem was with the native vlan.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos