VMware Cloud Community
JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

can't create portset: Out of resources

Having some issues creating a lot of vswitches, these are done programmatically, however I'm running into these errors:

WARNING: NetPortset: 1853: vswitch_id_254: no empty slots

WARNING: Net: 2155: can't create portset: Out of resources

ESXi VersionMaximum vSwitches
VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 14320405254
VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 13006603254
VMware ESXi, 7.0.0, 1632494262
VMware ESXi, 7.0.1, 1685080462

Neither of these are even close to the configuration maximums of 4096 and why is it so different between versions?

How can I create more than 256 vswitches on an esxi host!? Is this a bug with ESXi 7?

Reproducible:

powercli

for ($i=1; $i -lt 256; $i++) {New-VirtualSwitch -VMHost 192.168.0.10 -Name testswitch_$i }

Get-VirtualSwitch -VMHost 192.168.0.10 | Measure-Object | Select-Object Count  | Format-List

Count : 62

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware has change the default allowable portsets, you can change them back to 6.7's values using these commands, they've assured me this will be fixed in 7.1

# Get the value
esxcfg-advcfg -j netNumPortsets

# Set the value
esxcfg-advcfg -k 256 netNumPortsets

# reboot

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I'm going to ask the obvious question: Why do you want to create more than 256 vswitches on a single host?

JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

programmatically we generate a switch per training and depending on the topic multiple vlans are created on that switch and then later the entire switch is destoryed.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What you're doing is so non-standard that more than likely you'll need to open a support case with GSS and have them investigate.

0 Kudos
JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Support has confirmed this is an issue with the ESXi 7 software code, waiting on a response/patch.

0 Kudos
JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware has change the default allowable portsets, you can change them back to 6.7's values using these commands, they've assured me this will be fixed in 7.1

# Get the value
esxcfg-advcfg -j netNumPortsets

# Set the value
esxcfg-advcfg -k 256 netNumPortsets

# reboot
0 Kudos
hyperqube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are having the exact same problem on 7.0.1

When we try to run the command "esxcfg-advcfg -j netNumPortsets netNumPortsets = 256" we are getting the error "missing option name".  Any ideas here?

0 Kudos
JacobDEvans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you could also try 

esxcli system settings kernel set -s "netNumPortsets" -v 254
0 Kudos