We have a strange behaviour in one of our vCenters (6.0 U3d on Windows 2012R2 server).
When manually starting a vMotion migration, the option "Change host" is greyed out with the mesage "vMotion is not enabled on the host of the Virtual Machine". But vMotion IS enabled on the host... and correctly configured... and licensed... and it works if DRS needs to do a migration!
My workaround is to disable vMotion on the host on the relevant VMKernel interface and enable it again, then it works for some hours or so... until it returns to the above error message.
Someone else described the exact same thing here (without solution, just the same workaround):
- This happens on all (ca. 😎 clusters in the datacenter
- It affects all VMs on the host
- It only affects a host as "vMotion source" (migrating off the host), the same host works if it is the vMotion target 😉
- A host that was a "target" of a vMotion, suddenly also works for outgoing vMotions... :smileyconfused:
I might be wrong, but I vaguely link the problem to an incident where we accidentally exceeded the Hosts per Cluster Configuration Maximum (64 hosts). The cluster had 66 or 67 hosts before we split it in two clusters... (that Configration Maximum is not a hardcoded limit...! :smileyangry:).
Now I just tried it with the HTML5 Client (Fling) and the phenomenon is not present there! So it's a vSphere Client (C#) only problem? :smileyangry:
I don't think this is something related to crossing the max host limit for cluster, as i had just 4 host in the cluster...moreover the same issue never returned after disabling/re-enabling the vMotion on yhe affected host....
In my case, it affects all VMs on the host (and most or all hosts in a cluster), as the vCenter or vSphere Client "thinks", vMotion is not enabled on the host. It't nothing on VM level. Plus it always reapperas after the described workaround.
It's just good that DRS still works... :smileyshocked:
Yes it affected all the VMs on the host...In my case the issue never re-appeared again. As you said, the issue is appearing only with the thick client so, did you try to upgrade the vSphere client (i mean if available)....otherwise i would say, take it as another reason to start using Web client...
I updated vSphere Client to the latest build 6855219 (previous attempts to do so failed because of the dreaded hcmon.sys error), but these vMotion problem remains.
It's so sad that VMware dropped the best client for their product. :smileycry: We'll definitely not use Web Client (the Flash shit), but skip it entirely and try HTML5 client instead...