VMware Cloud Community
islammanjurul
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server Page Fault in non-paged area caused by srv.sys

Hello everyone. Greetings.

as the title stated - I am getting page fault in non-paged area on both Windows Server 2012 R2 and on Windows Server 2016, caused by srv.sys.

I know many of you will tell me to check ram and hard drive, but it is a clean install, there are many other VMs running smoothly, but every time I try to install active directory DS and DNS server on the Windows Server VM, I am getting this error. this error only popping up when the system takes first reboot after finishing DC promoting (after installing AD and DNS). and then it continues forever, it comes to the desktop for a maximum of 5 minutes and then gone. If I don't install any AD services, or any kind of role then it is good.

I have mutliple ESXi machines, some olds and one very latest Dell R730, on whichever host I try, I am getting the same error again and again. Can anyone help to fix the problem?

Solution for Future - Virtualization, Workspace delivery
5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Well I suppose this is a BSOD.
Then, let's talk, as per my experience I never had any issue when installing a clean W2012R2 or 2016.

So, you could try a few things:

1. I would suggest that it's something relatd to th Guest OS, did you dump the BSOD and check which is the really problem?

This is the main thing that you should do when a BSOD happens.

2. Do you know if you used the same ISO with another servers? Just to check that the ISO file is not corrupted.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
islammanjurul
Contributor
Contributor

can you let me know from where to collect the BSOD dump? the default location or anywhere else from VMware vsphere management?

Also regarding the ISO, yes I have used the same ISO on every ESXi host. And the ISO is fine since other VMs from these ISO are working fine, only this situation when I try to setup AD and DNS Server role.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

You can find more information on how to do it here: Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012: Automatic Memory Dump | Ask the Core Team

This seems more related to a Windows Forum than to a VMware because if you can install correctly the OS and you receive an error after installing something (a role), then you should post there.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
islammanjurul
Contributor
Contributor

I do understand it is Windows OS issue, but I am having this only when I install the role (AD, DNS, etc) on VMware based VM, but not on physical machine based Windows 2012 r2 or 2016. So I don't know why but it looks like something is not working on ESXi/vSphere. I am using esxi 6.5u2 and vCenter 6.7 as management.

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

So, if it's a Windows OS issue, it should be posted in a Microsoft forum and not here.
I mean, you should know first that the GuestOS is correct and then point to the VM itself (and then vSphere).

But, anyway you must read the dump from the BSOD to know what is causing the problem but bear in mind that usually we don't resolve Windows issues.

Thanks.

0 Kudos