VMware Cloud Community
romaolp
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server Datacenter 2016

Hi

I´ve got 3 Vmware Host, and I´ve bought 3 HPE ROK Windows Server Datacenter 2016 to have all my vm's with license.
My question is, if I want to deploy a VM with Windows Server Standard 2016, it will be licensed.
Which key should I use to licence my VM?
As far as I know, with Hyper-V it is possible using the AVMA (Automatic Virtual Machine Activation | Microsoft Docs ) but how can I do it in Vmware?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
3dsachin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you purchase Windows license, you get a VLSC (Volume Licensing Service Center) account where you would also have product keys listed.

0 Kudos
romaolp
Contributor
Contributor

I´ve bought the Windows Server 2016 Datacenter from HPE. It is an HPE ROK license.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

If you are using the HPE ROK media license, refer to the below link and go to point.63

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa4-3787enw.pdf

It says that, you have to license the physical host, it means if you have 3 hosts running in a cluster, license all the 3 physical hosts, since you cannot guarantee the VM placement, it is suggested to license all the hosts.

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
romaolp
Contributor
Contributor

So I´ve got 3 Datacenter Licenses to my 3 Vmware Host

The question is, If I want to deploy a VM with Windows Server Standard, which Serial Number should I use to activate the VM?

As far as I know, in Hyper-V we´ve got AVMA (Hyper-V Automatic Virtual Machine Activation Windows Server 2016 ) and with it I can register my VM with Windows Server Standard or any other edition. Microsoft does not have the same mechanism for Vmware.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

That is what i meant to say, you need to buy perCore license to use on VMware. To my knowledge this license you have now cannot be used on VMware VMs..

Please check this link below pdf and in page 6, click on per core licensing, it will open another pdf document, refer to it..

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/WindowsServer2016V...

Regards,

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
3dsachin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Datacenter license for 2016 comes per core only and should work same for Hyper-v or VMware hosts. HP ROK offers benefits like guided installation. So, I would suggest you contact HP and they should help you with activation.

0 Kudos