VMware Cloud Community
Brian995
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2016 on ESXi 6.0U3 on HP DL580 G7 supported?

We've got an HP DL580 G7 VMware cluster running ESXi 6.0U3 (HP custom pre-Gen9 image) and Windows Server 2016 VMs that are working fine (knock on wood:).  Also, they're VM version 11 and running VMware Tools 10282.

Does anyone know if this is officially supported?  I know that ESXi 6.0U3 supports the G7s using HPs custom pre-Gen9 image, and that ESXi 6.0U3 supports Windows Server 2016, but I've been unable to confirm all three are supported together.

Unfortunately, someone caught wind that we were running Windows Server 2016 VMs on G7s and of course pulled the fire alarm, so now we've got to either ensure this setup is "officially" supported or start the painful and expensive process to upgrade those environments.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

According to VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search​ , HP DL580 G7 is supported on 6.0 U3

pastedImage_1.png

According to VMware Compatibility Guide - Guest/Host Search​ , Windows server 2016 is supported on 6.0.

pastedImage_0.png

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
Brian995
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Diego!

Yes, I was able to find out the same information, but since Windows Server 2016 isn't supported on an HP DL580 G7 I was hoping to find something that linked those two compatibilities.  Does that make sense?

It does make sense that if A = B, and B = C, then A = C, but I didn't want to make any assumptions...especially if something went wrong and A doesn't equal C in VMwareland!

0 Kudos