VMware Cloud Community
gsownsby
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2016 on ESXI 6.7 Displays Terminal Window to Change Password then Stops

Hello All,

I'm new to ESXI itself but not to virtual machines in general.  So I'm hoping for some guidance if I'm way off track.

I'm having an issue with installing Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition via ESXI 6.7 on a Dell R710.  I'm using the Dell/VMWare customized R710 image as the starting point for my ESXI installation.

The problem is this.  The installation (via browser) proceeds in a completely normal fashion right up until the very end.  Setup then displays a terminal window and asks that I change the admin/root password.  I do.  It says that I did.  Then it just sits there in a terminal window displaying normal command line prompt.  It does not proceed further and go on into a Windows graphical environment.

I have used this same Windows Server 2016 ISO image at least twice before prior to acquiring this particular R710 server.  All other virtual machines that I've set up via this new ESXI installation worked just fine during installation and subsequent use.  One of those previous installs was with VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5 on an identical Dell R710 without any problems.

So I'm a bit lost here as to what is the problem.  Any thoughts or suggestions, please?  Thank you.

Gary

0 Kudos
0 Replies