VMware Cloud Community
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2016 backup keeps failing

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem when trying to backup my Exchange 2016 database to a network share on another server.  I am running ESXi 6.7U1 with 2 guests

Guest VM Server 1 - Running Windows Server 2016 and is my Active Directory controller.  The operating system is installed on C drive and I have 2 others HDD, disk A & disk B, in the server which has been shared with the correct permissions.

Guest VM Server 2 - Running Exchange Server 2016 and has a scheduled job to backup the Exchange DBS to Server 1 disk B.

Now, on the very first backup, everything works and the Exchange DBS are backed up to Server 1 disk B fine. Then on the next scheduled backup, it starts and fails with the error:

"Backup of volume C: has failed. Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Please retry the operation after making sure that the remote shared folder is available and accessible."

"Detailed Error: The Semaphore timeout period has expired."

I have recreated disk A and disk B in Vmware, but disk B fails with this semaphore error when backing up.  I have copied a large file from Server 2 to Server 1 disk A & B and the transfer rate is the same.

I have switched off large offload sending v4 and v6 and still no difference.

Are there any other other guest network settings I can look at?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

Found this but made no difference.

http://lifeofageekadmin.com/network-performance/

0 Kudos