VMware Cloud Community
Wojo111
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2016 / Paravirtual / Explorer Exception

I'm wondering if anyone else is able to reproduce or has seen the same thing I'm seeing as described below.  I don't believe this is a major issues just trying to understand why this is happening.  This is totally repeatable and not a one off instance as it has been done several times.

When building a new windows server 2016 VM, after installing the VMware tools and clicking yes to reboot now for the required restart after the tools install, during the shutdown process an error is displayed.  The system will go to the blue background and show that services are being stopped then a dialog pops up showing that explorer has cause a memory exception (can never read it all).... then without clicking the OK button the error closes and the system completes the shutdown.  There is no mention of the error in the event logs and the error is never seen again on subsequent shutdowns.

I'm checking to see if anyone else is seeing this error as i'm building a template that will be used for 75 servers and I don't want this to come back and bite me later down the road.  As I said this is repeatable with the build below, I have done it several times. 

Environment: 

VCSA:  6.7.0 Build 13007421

ESXi:  6.7.0 Build 13644319

Tools: 1.3.5 Build 10341

VM HW Setup:

Build using the defaults offered by vCenter when choosing OS:  Microsoft Windows Server 2016 or later (64-bit) with the following modifications

SCSI controler 0:  VMware Paravirtual

Network Adapter 1 Type:  VMXNET 3

Network Adapter 1 DirectPath I/O:  Disabled

CD/DVD Drive 1:  Datastore ISO for windows media

CD/DVD Drive 2:  Datastore ISO for /vmimages/tools-isoimages/windows.iso

Windows is installed with the Data Center w/ GUI option

pvscsi.inf is loaded during the install from the tools ISO (2nd CD/DVD Drive) to access the hard drive for install

After install is completed system is shutdown, CD/DVD Drive 2 removed.

The VM is restarted and tools are installed in a custom installation type using all defaults of the custom install path with the exception of adding the file introspection driver.

After tools is install and yes clicked to restart windows this is where the message displays.

If anyone has seen this and found that this is not an issue that would be great to hear and give me some more confidence that this is not just my issue.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

These two settings must be made after the vmware tools have been installed, otherwise it does not have the correct drivers and generates errors on reboot.

SCSI controler 0:  VMware Paravirtual

Network Adapter 1 Type:  VMXNET 3

if so, change the settings like this:

SCSI controler 0:  LSI Logic SAS

Network Adapter 1 Type:  E1000e

and install the vmware tools and restart the Server. Then enter the edit setting and change the settings.

Alessandro Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos