VMware Cloud Community
fjansson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2016/2019 Guest OS option missing

Hi,

I'm helping a customer that's running VMware ESXi 6.0.0 (Build: 2494585).

I want to set up a new virtual server running Windows Server 2019 but I can't select that option as a guest OS.

When googling the issue I'm always directed to this link: VMware Knowledge Base  which says that I should select Windows Server 2016 instead. However the latest OS entry I can select is Windows Server 2012 R2.

I know that the ESXi version is probably deemed as ancient, but it looked as if server 2019 is supposed to be supported when reading about it.

They will be running this server for another year as a maximum before replacing it, but they're in need of this new virtual server right now.

How do I go about doing this, do I have to upgrade ESXi somehow? I usually always work in Hyper-V so I'm a bit stumped when it comes to this.

Kind regards,

Frida

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That build number was released in 2015, which would explain why you can't see 2016 or 2019 options.

That KB article has "related versions" of 6.5 and 6.7.

Set the latest Windows version you can.

Get the customer off 6.0 though, it's no longer supported.

If their hardware (system plus IO devices) supports 6.5 or a later version, you could potentially upgrade - check that here: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That build number was released in 2015, which would explain why you can't see 2016 or 2019 options.

That KB article has "related versions" of 6.5 and 6.7.

Set the latest Windows version you can.

Get the customer off 6.0 though, it's no longer supported.

If their hardware (system plus IO devices) supports 6.5 or a later version, you could potentially upgrade - check that here: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
fjansson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Alright, I must have missed that bit regarding 6.5 and 6.7.

1. Regarding upgrading, not sure if I went into the correct menus (see attached image), does this mean that this hardware supports up to 6.5 U3?
    1. If so, is it possible to upgrade remotely or do I have to do it via attached USB etc?
    2. Are there any upgrade-guides available from this version to 6.5 U3?
    3. The VM Version of their machines are currently at 8, will this be a showstopper for the upgrade?

If its possible to upgrade that seems like the best choice. Even if I were to install Windows Server 2019 on the current ESXi version I'd probably run into known/unknown errors.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

- Upgrade from command line buy uploading a 6.5u3 upgrade zip

- Upgrade by using the Dell CustomISO and booting trough idrac(needs idrac enterprise). Otherwise burn a CDROM

2. Every ESXi manual contains a chapter on how to upgrade. But with a single stand alone hosts and a Dell 12Gen. i suggest that you use just boot the CustomISO and perform a inplace ugrade of ESXi. If you have a vCenter around you need to upgrade this first. The license keys havent changed in 6.x release so no changes there for you.

3. No. The ESXi 6.5 supports vHW8 very well. You should upgrade VMware Tools later and than lift the vHW up to 13 after the upgrade.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

wow - you are on esxi 6.0 GA from 03/2015 ?

but you can upgrade the vcenter remotely afterwards the esxi via updatemanager (or with virtual cdrom if you have idrac enterprise)

via google you can find tons of upgrade-guides - and have a look at the upgrade matrix : VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

hardware version 8 is no showstopper for upgrade

0 Kudos
fjansson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IRIX201110141

Thanks for the detailed response!

Kind regards, Frida

0 Kudos
fjansson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

berndweyand

Yes, unfortunately they are still on this old version and hardware. I'm quite new in this team and quite frankly there's a lot I would've done differently.

Ok, thanks! I'll look into that.

Kind regards,

Frida

0 Kudos