VMware Cloud Community
Fluxblocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 VM

We have a Windows 10 virtual machine in EFI boot mode.  The VM boots up fine, but when we add a virtual CD-ROM drive (just to install VMware Tools), the operation is successful but no CD-ROM drive ever appears in the guest OS.  It seems to have something to do with the fact it's an EFI partition.  Also, the line firmware = "efi" is in the vmx file but this seems to have no effect on the issue.  In vCenter, edit virtual hardware, everything works fine, but in the guest, even though the CD-ROM drive says it's connected, it is not present in file explorer. 

Also, if we attempt to create a new VM and boot to the Windows 10 ISO, if it's EFI, it fails to boot.  If we go into the guest boot session and select the CD drive, it does boot to the cd-rom ISO, but then reboots itself after a few seconds, and never makes it to the OS installation.  It will just keep rebooting itself over and over.

Is there a solution to this?

Many thanks,

Sam (flux boy)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fluxblocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I forgot about this post and don't remember exactly what we did. I think the issue was caused by a security application that blocks access to removable media. We either excluded the machine from having removable media blocked, or installed VMware Tools from a network drive. We were/are on vSphere version 6.7.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The following might help to know more about the problem.

1. Windows 10 version

2. vSphere version

When you create VM in VM hardware 14 and above, it is default UEFI. Unless, I have completely missed the problem.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you have to provide more information ... vmware version?

I don't understand why to install the "vmware tools" you have to go through cd-rom

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
Fluxblocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I forgot about this post and don't remember exactly what we did. I think the issue was caused by a security application that blocks access to removable media. We either excluded the machine from having removable media blocked, or installed VMware Tools from a network drive. We were/are on vSphere version 6.7.

0 Kudos