VMware Cloud Community
DominikGeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 1809 Upgrade failes

Hello,

we have about 400 Windows 10 VDIs in use. We are currently trying to install the upgrade Windows 10 1809. Our hard disk controllers are available as SCSI controllers. During the upgrade the virtual machine gets stuck in the boot screen and does a rollback. The failure "The installation failed in the SAFE OS phase with an error during the INSTALL_UPDATES operation" appears.  If I connect the hard disks to the IDE controller, the upgrade works. The latest VMWare tools are already installed (10.3.5). But we wouldn't like to switch all VDIs to IDE controllers. Is there a general problem?  I hope someone has an another idea. Thanks in advance.

With kind regards
Dominik Geb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DominikGeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I found a solution. The problem appears, when the virtual machine has a snapshot.
It looks like a incompatibiliy with the VMFS6 datastore and Windows 10 1809.
On a datastore with VMFS5 is it working (with snapshots). I think Microsoft or VMWare will fix this in the future.

With kind regards

Dominik Geb

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DominikGeb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I found a solution. The problem appears, when the virtual machine has a snapshot.
It looks like a incompatibiliy with the VMFS6 datastore and Windows 10 1809.
On a datastore with VMFS5 is it working (with snapshots). I think Microsoft or VMWare will fix this in the future.

With kind regards

Dominik Geb

0 Kudos
sferrell615
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We ran into this as well.  Your fix did not work for us.  We found that shutting down the VM, removing the VM's USB device from the Hardware tab, and powering on then enabled us to install the 1809 patch.

0 Kudos