VMware Cloud Community
Hodoros
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WinPreVista.iso Missing

Hello,

I am running ESXI 6.7 and I have a few Windows XP VMs for testing. Currently, the VMs have Vmware Tools 10.0.12 build-448496 installed on them, but ESXi informs me there is a new version available. When I go to upgrade it says that the WinPreVista.iso is missing. I went to the product downloads page and I wasn't able to find any VMware tools that are newer and compatible with Windows XP.

The reason I am trying to upgrade Vmware tools is because the API is not acting correctly after upgrading ESXi to 6.7 from 6.5 (Some of the tools we use to interact with the API are now broken)

1. Can anyone confirm if there is a newer version of VMware tools that is compatible with Windows XP?
2. If so can they provide me with a download link from the official downloads page?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your at the highest version, it may be reporting it wrong due to the guest os being identified wrong. 10.0.12 is the lastest for anything prevista

Introducing VMware Tools 10.1 and 10.0.12 - VMware vSphere Blog

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Your at the highest version, it may be reporting it wrong due to the guest os being identified wrong. 10.0.12 is the lastest for anything prevista

Introducing VMware Tools 10.1 and 10.0.12 - VMware vSphere Blog

TechnoNotice
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is reporting that a new version is available because the ISO is not on the host. 

from EberleITGuy  https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vSphere-Hypervisor-Discussions/New-VMware-Tools-for-XP-in-6-7U1/td...

Downloaded legacy tools zip file from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS10012&productId=896

Extract the 5 files to a directory:

• winPreVista.iso
  • winPreVista.iso.sha
  • winPreVista.iso.sig
  • winPreVista_avr_manifest.txt
  • winPreVista_avr_manifest.txt.sig

Start PSFTP (from putty) or WinSCP and connect to the host using root credentials:

psftp> lcd <path to files>

psftp> cd /usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/

psftp> mput *

Repeat for other hosts or use SSH from the updated host

Watch out you may not have enough space to put all the legacy isos on your hosts.   We use ESXi 6.5 with 4G SD cards and there is only 285Mb available.   linux.iso, wiPreVista.iso and windows.iso take 268Mb.