VMware Cloud Community
SteveBottoms
Contributor
Contributor

Win10 compatible with hypervisor 6.5.0?

Hi, all!  Running hypervisor 6.5.0 hypervisor, using VSphere 6.5.0 web client. 

At my wit's end trying to get a Windows 10 (either 1607 or 1709 build) VM built from MS ISOs to work.  I can get the VMs created, but regardless of how I setup the firewall (even stopped) & remote access configuration, I can't get remote terminal connection *from any subnet*, domain, private, or public.  Terminal app just hangs attempting to connect to port 3389, and MSTSC behavior is peculiar:

1) FIRST connection from a workstation (Win10, Server 2012, or Server 2016) will connect for ONE second, then terminate with a protocol error (top screencap in attached image).

2) Subsequent connection attempts yield EITHER a) the bottom screencap in attached image, b) "An unknown error has occurred", or c) a MSTSC message indicating the user credentials were wrong (they aren't).

As I said this behavior is consistent across any Win10 build I create; I created a Win7 VM and remote connections to it perform perfectly from any subnet on our LAN from any client OS.  Win2k12 and Win2016 Server VMs function perfectly.  I can use the same above 1607 & 1709 ISOs to build VMs on Citrix and they work perfectly, as well.

I don't have any hair left to pull out. 😃  Suggestions?  Is my hypervisor too old? Is there a required public certificate the needs to be installed?  Is there a trick to getting Win10 VMs to work under 6.5?

Thanks.

Steve in Reno

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You've posted this in the vSphere forums, so what leads you to believe this is an issue with ESXi? Is there something you've noticed in the logs or behavior with your hypervisor which suggests there is something else going on? What is the build of your ESXi host? And can you take a screenshot of this VM's configuration (or upload the VMX file)?

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

can you check the events on the windows 10 guest OS and when you take RDP, what is the process it takes time or hung at before erroring out..

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos