VMware Cloud Community
warriorcookie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Win 10 VM slow networking

I recently added a 970 evo plus NVMe to my system.  I created a new Win10 VM and have been experiencing slow network read speeds.

System specs in signature.

VM specs (VM version 13):

6 vCPU's (was on 8, no difference)

8 GB memory

HD 1: 170GB on NVMe datastore using NVMe controller (I've tried SAS, no difference)

NVMe controller (Tried SCSI SAS controller, see above)

VMXNET3 (Tried E1000 and E1000e but performed worse)

-When Running CrystalDiskMark I 1700MB/s+ seq read/writes and 600MB/s read/write 4KiB Q8T8.

-When I try to download a file using SMB from a NAS VM on the same host it starts at 200MB/s but within a couple seconds drops to 20MB/s and bounces from 50MB/s down to 2MB/s.

-Trying E1000 and E1000e performs slightly less (maybe?).

-Doing the same transfer from another win10 VM (VM version 13) I have on a SATA SSD drive on the same host results in consistent 125MB/s using E1000 virtual network adapter.

-iperf3 shows consistent 5GB/s and iperf -R shows 6GB/s.

-HPP enabled on host and confirmed it grabbed the 970 EVO.  No difference.

<code>

t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_500GB__________3A38B09153382500

Display Name: Local NVMe Disk (t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_500GB__________3A38B09153382500)

Has Settable Display Name: false

Size: 476940

Device Type: Direct-Access

Multipath Plugin: HPP

</code>

Not sure exactly what else to try.  Writing to the drive without network is fine.  Transfers on the network without the drives seems to work fine.  But using both at the same time slows down bigtime...

SuperMicro X9DRH-7F Dual E5-2667 v2 88gb DDR3 ECC ESXI 6.7 u3
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
warriorcookie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems to be an issue in the guest.  Drivers?  Not sure, don't really have more time to invest.

I moved the other win10 vm from the sata drive to the nvme drive, added a nvme controller and voila, 225MB/s+ speeds which is the max of the array in my NAS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
warriorcookie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update to 6.7u3 with upgrading vm version to latest hardware version saw no change.

0 Kudos
warriorcookie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems to be an issue in the guest.  Drivers?  Not sure, don't really have more time to invest.

I moved the other win10 vm from the sata drive to the nvme drive, added a nvme controller and voila, 225MB/s+ speeds which is the max of the array in my NAS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

warriorcookie,

What is the power profile defined in the BIOS of your host? Are C1 states enabled?

Lars

0 Kudos