VMware Cloud Community
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why resource pools only shown on vcenter not on esx host?

(1)A esx host is managed by a vcenter and there are 4 resource pools on the host. If we connect directly to the host, we can not find the resource pools. but we can find them only through vcenter. Is this the normal case?

(2) If we want to create a vm in one of the resource pools above by using vsphere api, the vm is created under the root resource pool instead of the specified resource pool. Why is it?

19 Replies
vladandrei1987
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steven1314,

(1) As far as i know, the Resource Pools are a feature only pertainning to vCenter, so it will not even be available when you manage a single host directly.

For point (2) can you please add a few screenshots and maybe detail on how you create that VM?

Thanks,
A.

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a esxi server 10.57.60.8, which is managed by a vcenter. And there are 4 resource pools on the esxi server.

From vcenter view, we can clearly see these resource pools:

RP.png

But from esxi server view, we can not see these resource pools:

ESXI Server.png

However, if we use vsphere SDK to connect to this esxi server 10.57.60.8, we can still get these resource pools:

SDK.png

The question is: When I choose one of the above resource pool, say "chendong" to create vm, the vm is not there but in the root resource pool

Root Resource Pool.png

However, if we use SDK vim25.jar to connect to the vcenter and choose resource pool  "chendong" to create vm, the vm is just under this specified resource pool.

VC.png

VC RP.png

Why there is such a difference? How to explain this case?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a esxi server 10.57.60.8, which is managed by a vcenter. And there are 4 resource pools on the esxi server.

From vcenter view, we can clearly see these resource pools:

RP.png

But from esxi server view, we can not see these resource pools:

ESXI Server.png

However, if we use vsphere SDK to connect to this esxi server 10.57.60.8, we can still get these resource pools:

SDK.png

The question is: When I choose one of the above resource pool, say "chendong" to create vm, the vm is not there but in the root resource pool

Root Resource Pool.png

However, if we use SDK vim25.jar to connect to the vcenter and choose resource pool  "chendong" to create vm, the vm is just under this specified resource pool.

VC.png

VC RP.png

Why there is such a difference? How to explain this case?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
vladandrei1987
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Steven1314​,
Yeah, i think this goes back to my original answer, for point (1). Because the resource pools is a vCenter feature, i believe it is normal for the SDK to not be able to put VMs into that resource pool (the fact that you can still see the resource pools on the ESXi host with the SDK is somewhat normal, as it reads stuff from the vcenter - bear in mind if you connect to the ESXi host itself, it will state that it is managed by a vCenter Server).

In this case, i do suggest you use the vCenter connection to place VMs onto specific hosts, and into a specific resource pool>

Hope that makes sense,

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey vladanrei1987,

What do you mean by saying "Because the resource pools is a vCenter feature, i believe it is normal for the SDK to not be able to put VMs into that resource pool".  I think you misunderstand my meaning.

Actually, If I use SDK to connect to vcenter where the esxi host belongs and specify a resource pool to create a vm, it is successful.

If I use SDK to connect directly to the esxi server host and specify a resource pool to create a vm, it is also successful but the vm is not under the specified resource pool instead it is in the root path.

I don't know if you can understand me now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The SDK may just be ignoring the resource pool selection, resource pools require the DRS feature which is a vcenter only feature, I've seen similar things with powercli when connecting to the host directly.

vladandrei1987
Contributor
Contributor

I mean ""Because the resource pools is a vCenter feature, i believe it is normal for the SDK to not be able to put VMs into that resource pool, when you connect it directly to the ESXI".

As i have suggested, you should use a connection to the vCenter (you also confirmed that works "Actually, If I use SDK to connect to vcenter where the esxi host belongs and specify a resource pool to create a vm, it is successful.")

Cheers!

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

are you able to create resource pool on single host ? if yes you can see If no you can not see, means what-ever task we can do on single host those will be visible.

What-ever we do inside vcenter server , we can manage by vcenter server,

For your confirmation disabled DRS and see the impact on resource pool.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

You know I am developing a feature using vsphere SDK. This above is the problem I confronted and our QA doubt it is a bug of our production. Now I need an official testimony to show that this is not a bug but a design from vsphere.

Could you help me on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RajeevVCP4,

You know I am developing a feature using vsphere SDK. This above is the problem I confronted and our QA doubt it is a bug of our production. Now I need an official testimony to show that this is not a bug but a design from vsphere.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vladandrei1987,

Thanks

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

This forum is mostly made up on non VMware people, so its not the place to get an official response, but someone did post the answer in one of your multiple posts on the same topic(which is considered a bad practice). Resource pools used to be managed in the hosts them self but VMware moved them to vcenter, while parts do technically exist in the host on its how, it is not possible to manage them from the hosts directly. You cannot change this, and if your developing something that requires this, you can only have that connect to vcenter. I'll leave you to look through all your posts for the kb article that explains this

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

You can show this vmware docs simply mentioned in this docs

The vSphere Client is connected to the vCenter Server system. If you connect the vSphere Client directly to a host, you cannot create a resource pool..

vSphere Documentation Center

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere...vmware.vsphere.../GUID-3BD591CC-F685-4843-...

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RajeevVCP4,

Thank you very much for you reply!

I am not going to create resource pool on esxi server host A which is managed by a vcenter. Instead I want to create a vm in the specified resource pool on the esxi server.

The doc where the link you provide links to can not demonstrate why we can not see resource pools by using vSphere Client to connect directly to a exsi host while using SDK to connect to the same esxi server host, we can see all the resource pools on it.

Attention Please:

This esxi server A is already managed by a vcenter. And When the vSphere Client is connected to the vCenter Server system, we can also clearly see all the resource pools belonging to the esxi server A. But if the vSphere Client is connected directly to the esxi server A, we can not see any resource pools on it.

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Now I try to make it more clear for you to understand the difficulty I confronted. It is shown as follows:

From the vcenter UI view, we can clearly see all these resource pools of the esxi server:

376230_376230.pngRP.png

But from the esxi server UI view, we can not see these resource pools. Actually it is the same esxi server as above.

376654_376654.pngESXI Server.png

However, if I use vsphere SDK(vim25.jar) to connect directly to this esxi server 10.57.60.8, I can get its resource pools:

376655_376655.pngSDK.png

So based on this  I choose one of the resource pools, say "chendong" to create a vm, the vm is created in the root resource pool instead of the specified resource pool "chendong". I tried many times but the vm still failed to be created in resource pool "chendong":

376656_376656.pngRoot Resource Pool.png

However, if I use the SDK to connect to the vcenter and choose the same resource pool  "chendong" of the esxi server 10.57.60.8 to create a vm, the vm is just created under the resource pool I choose, which is what I expect.

376657_376657.pngVC.png

As is shown in the pic below, we can see that the vm is already created in the resource pool "chendong":

376658_376658.pngVC RP.png

I can make sure that I use SDK correctly and all the required parameters are input.

I am really confused at this problem!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Your clear, but you refuse to accept that you cannot connect to the esxi server and pick a resource pool. Just because the sdk can see the resource pool, don't mean it will work, in the end you cannot do anything in the UI or and sdk or API related to resource pools directly to an esxi server. Your own tests reinforce this

"However, if I use the SDK to connect to the vcenter and choose the same resource pool  "chendong" of the esxi server 10.57.60.8 to create a vm, the vm is just created under the resource pool I choose, which is what I expect."

0 Kudos
Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

You know I am using vSphere SDK to develop a feature as shown above. Our QA have a doubt that they can see resource pools on the esxi server but could not create a vm in the specified resource pool. They think now that the resource pool is there, so it should be supported to create a vm in it. Hence, they opened a bug for me to resolve.

I want to find some official documents to prove that it is not a bug. I want to make them believe that it is truth.

Could you help me please?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Your QA must not be very good, the only proof you need has been provided before, and you can see it in the interfaces. If you can't do i in the esxi GUI but you can in vcenter, proof. Another example is distrubted switches, you can see them in esxi but without vcenter your options are very limited. vCenter only features will have parts that show in esxi, but they still require vcenter regardless. The biggest proof is resource pools require DRS, which is a vcenter only feature, try turing off drs and see your resource pools go away.

If you want an offical answer this isn't a place, open a ticket with vmware, if you don't have support buy it. Only a very few people who respond are vmware employees, most are people how use the systems on a daily basis.

Steven1314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you!

0 Kudos