VMware Cloud Community
pwack
Contributor
Contributor

Whats needed to build a HA system

Whats needed to build a HA system with 2 servers to provide redundancy for 2 SVR 2016 VMs,so runnning 2 SVR 2016 VMs on one server with the ability for a clone of the 2 SVR 2016 VMs to be enabled on the second server if the main server fails for any reason.

I need to buid a redundant system to protect 2 SVR 2016 VMs

I belive HA can provide this funcionality but im not sure what products/licenses ect I need to by to build the system

I have knowledge of the hyperviisor side of VMWare but not that hot on all the bells an whistles that go with it.

Any help would be apreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you need instant failover or would you tolerate loss of service for the time it took for the Windows Server OS to boot?

What sort of application/service is running on Windows?

How many CPU cores would the VM have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
pwack
Contributor
Contributor

I dont need instant failover , loss of service for the time it took for the Windows Server OS to boot would not be an issue

the VMs would be 4core/16gb mem

One would run  Access control system software and the other would be running  ANPR software , there not large systems and dont need mega resources to run.

I have 2 identical dell servers (1pr/8core/16th 64gb mem) to deploy the system onto.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sounds like vSphere HA will do the job (rather than the added protection of FT)

In which case here's a checklist which lists the requirements.

Shared storage is a must - either physically separate to the hosts or using something like vSAN in a 2 node configuration.

0 Kudos