VMware Cloud Community
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What warning message does ESXi issue if redundancy is lost when there are no VMs on a vSwitch?

Unfortunately, I don't have a test environment at the moment.

Under normal situation, if one of the uplink goes down, the vCenter alerm definition causes ESXi to raise a "Network uplink redundancy lost" alarm.

But what warning message does ESXi if network redundancy is lost when there are no VMs on the vSwitch?

I've heard that there is a difference in the warning message when a VM is present on the vSwitch and when it is not.

Can I set an alarm definition to output the "network uplink redundancy lost" warning message even when there are no VMs on the vSwitch?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't see there any specific alert if VMs are part of the switch or not.

The only alert we see is the uplink redundancy alarm in case the Nic is physically down or the Nic flapping is happening.

So in nutshell, only that alarm is there specifically which can be used for Nic down

Regards

Harry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't see there any specific alert if VMs are part of the switch or not.

The only alert we see is the uplink redundancy alarm in case the Nic is physically down or the Nic flapping is happening.

So in nutshell, only that alarm is there specifically which can be used for Nic down

Regards

Harry

0 Kudos
hoon0715
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I contacted support team, they answered it was expected behavior that not to trigger "redundancy loss alarm" if vmnic down when there were no any VMs on the vSwitch.

If we really want to see an alarm,  we might create a unused VMKernel adapter for an alarm trigger.

0 Kudos